Old 30-04-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default runner bean tubers!

Have just discovered dahlia-like tubers on last season's runner bean roots.
I know they produce nitrogen nodules though am not exactly sure what form
they take and have certainly never seen them so big.

If I plant them again will they do anything? (tricks? sing a song?, produce
beans even?)

Sue W.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old 30-04-2006, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article , "Sue" writes:

| Have just discovered dahlia-like tubers on last season's runner bean roots.
| I know they produce nitrogen nodules though am not exactly sure what form
| they take and have certainly never seen them so big.
|
| If I plant them again will they do anything? (tricks? sing a song?, produce
| beans even?)

In warm-winter areas, runner beans are perennials - they will regrow
from those, and give you a slightly earlier crop. They have never
come through a winter with me, but I often dig up the tubers come
spring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-04-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy

I dig them up in autumn and store them in some sawdust in an unheated
greenhouse. I lost several this winter, possibly frosted, they might have
been better off in dry compost in the ground inside my greenhouse rather
than on a shelf.

Anyway, the survivors have been planted in pots but beware, I have been
unable to get them to sprout in anything less than eight weeks, although
they do put out filamentarous roots before that, so pot them up now and be
very patient. I'd plant some runner beans as well as one can rely on them to
sprout within a week or two and it's important to get them growing right now
for an earlier crop.

Andy