Old 09-04-2003, 11:32 AM
David

Default Lawn needs TLC.

Hi all,

New to this here group, so please excuse the (many) questions I'm
about to ask!! I have a few other threads I need to start as well.

I have a lawn that is in a sorry state. I might be better off
re-laying it, but it is not all bad so I feel an attempt should be
made to save it :-)

First off it is full of dandelions and other big weeds (I don't know
the name!). My attempt last year to kill them left me with dead
patches (used a spray). Should I try again and this time paint on the
weed killer? Or dig them out and re-seed those patches? Or a
combination of the two?

The lawn is very bumpy and patchy in places - the previous owner had
some dogs that killed the grass. What is the best way to level this?
Should I also sow seed to help it on it's way? I am guessing I need
either earth or sand - if sand, what type and where from?? Are there
better options than just getting it from the local garden center / DIY
shop?

Last but not least, I need a new decent mower. I have an ancient
elctric cylinder which can't cope with long grass (I'm not a very keen
gardener - I just want things to look nice with minimum input from
me!!). I also have an electric Qualcast rotary jobbie. This is fine
for cutting, but really doesn't like the very bumpy nature of the
grass at all due to the wheels. Plus being plastic I can already see
the casing round the handles has started to split.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a new mower? The back lawn is
about 20' x 40' and the front lawn 15' x 15'. I'm more interested in
ease of use and speed rather than stripes. I assume most decent
mowers will have height adjustment anyway.

TIA.

David.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:08 PM
pied piper

"David" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

New to this here group, so please excuse the (many) questions I'm
about to ask!! I have a few other threads I need to start as well.

spray with a selective weedkiller , scarify a few weeks later , clear away
the debris , spike , oversow with seed and then top dress with the same
soil you have already . keep watered and apply a summer fertiliser 2 weeks
after new growth is coming through.
I would recomend you get a petrol rotary mower with box at the back to pick
up your clippings see your local mower shop