Old 09-04-2003, 11:44 AM
David

Default Frost on Arum Lily

I have an Arum Lily (3 in fact) which are quite happy to grow in the
summer but only ever produces about 1 flower. I figure this is mainly
because during the winter the frost sets in and kills the leaves, and
the spring sees the plant putting all it's energy into growing new
leaves.
Do I need to feed the lily to help it? And if so with what? There
seems a baffling array of chemicals at the local garden center.
How can I protect the plant from frost each year?? Transplanting for
the winter is not preferrable, and whilst putting in a pot for easy
moving sounds good, it would need a large pot and I'm not likely to
remember to give it some water in the hot summer. What about half
burying the pots??

Any hints or advice welcome!!

David.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Jayne

Mine wasn't doing much in a pot so I've potted it into a basket & plonked it
in the edge of my pond & it's sprouting nicely. In South Africa where I used
to live we had these in the garden & growing wild - they like to be wet &
grow in shady marshy areas or in streams - they disappear in winter & then
come up again in the spring, so not having leaves is normal for them.
Generally they don't have many flowers per plant.

Hope this helps a bit.
Jayne
om...

Arum Lily coongoola Australia 0 22-03-2007 07:50 PM
Arum lily advice sought... Hugh Chaloner United Kingdom 13 14-09-2005 12:21 AM
Dead heading arum lily Alex Woodward United Kingdom 1 15-06-2005 11:34 PM
Arum Lily (Black pearl) Avril United Kingdom 7 21-07-2003 04:42 AM
Arum lily Bel Ponds 2 26-04-2003 03:56 PM