Old 07-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Avril

Default Arum Lily (Black pearl)

Seen this on eBay
ZANTEDESCHIA 'BLACK PEARL'...and started checking out the nursery web sites
but no joy. Can any one offer any information where this can be
found...apart from eBay.
Many thanks
Avril

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Avril

"Avril" wrote in message
Seen this on eBay
ZANTEDESCHIA 'BLACK PEARL'...and started checking out the nursery web

sites
but no joy. Can any one offer any information where this can be
found...apart from eBay.
Many thanks
Avril

hello...I thought I might find some information on this unusual plant...has
anyone any knowledge of it?
Avril

Old 09-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Thes

Avril wrote:
"Avril" wrote in message

Seen this on eBay
ZANTEDESCHIA 'BLACK PEARL'...and started checking out the nursery web

sites

but no joy. Can any one offer any information where this can be
found...apart from eBay.
Many thanks
Avril

hello...I thought I might find some information on this unusual plant...has
anyone any knowledge of it?
Avril

Well Google only turns up American suppliers... But I'm sure I bought
one this year at Kew when they were selling liliums, zants etc in
spring. At least the one I bought was very dark like this one.

Otherwise, can't help you.

Thes.

Old 10-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Peggy

The Arum family, Aroidae, which numbers nearly 1,000 members, mostly
tropical, and many of them marsh or water plants, is represented in this
country by a sole species, Arum maculatum (Linn.), familiarly known as Lords
and Ladies, or Cuckoo-pint.
The flowering organs are contained in a sheath-like leaf called a spathe,
within which rises a long, fleshy stem, or column called the spadix, bearing
closely arranged groups of stalkless, primitive flowers. At the base are a
number of flowers each consisting of a pistil only. Above these is a belt of
sterile flowers, each consisting of only a purplish anther. Above the anther
is a ring of glands, terminating in short threads The spadix is then
prolonged into a purple; club-like extremity.
The bright leaves, conspicuous by their glossiness and purple blotches, and
their halberd-like shape, are some of the first to emerge from the ground on
the approach of spring, and may then be noticed under almost every hedge in
shady situations; the pale green spathe is a still more striking object when
it appears in April and May.

In autumn, the lowest ring of flowers form a cluster of bright scarlet,
attractive berries, which remain long after the leaves have withered away,
and on their short, thick stem alone mark the situation of the plant. In
pite of their very acrid taste, they have sometimes been eaten by children,
with most injurious results, being extremely poisonous. One drop of their
juice will cause a burning sensation in the mouth and throat for hours. In
the case of little children who have died from eating the berries, cramp and
convulsions preceded death if no medical aid had been obtained.

The Arum has large tuberous roots, somewhat resembling those of the Potato,
oblong in shape, about the size of a pigeon's egg, brownish externally,
white within and when fresh, fleshy yielding a milky juice, almost insipid
to the taste at first, but soon producing a burning and pricking
sensation.The acridity is lost during the process of drying and by
application of heat, when the substance of the tuber is left as starch. When
baked, the tubers are edible, and from the amount of starch, nutritious.
This starch of the root, after repeated washing, makes a kind of arrowroot,
formerly much prepared in the Isle of Portland, and sold as an article of
food under the name of Portland Sago, or Portland Arrowroot, but now
obsolete. For this purpose, it was either roasted or boiled, and then dried
and pounded in a mortar, the skin being previously peeled.

Arum starch was used for stiffening ruffs in Elizabethan times, when we find
the name Starchwort among the many names given to the plant. Gerard says:
'The most pure and white starch is made of the rootes of the Cuckoo-pint,
but most hurtful for the hands of the laundresse that have the handling of
it, for it chappeth, blistereth, and maketh the hands rough and rugged and
withall smarting.'
This starch, however, in spite of Gerard's remarks, forms the Cyprus Powder
of the Parisians, who used it as a cosmetic for the skin, and Dr. Withering
says of this cosmetic formed from the tuber starch, that 'it is undoubtedly
a good and innocent cosmetic'; and Hogg (Vegetable Kingdom, 1858) reported
its use in Italy to remove freckles from the face and hands.
In parts of France, a custom existed of turning to account the mucilaginous
juice of the plant as a substitute for soap, the stalks of the plant when in
flower being cut and soaked for three weeks in water, which was daily poured
off carefully and the residue collected at the bottom of the pan, then dried
and used for laundry work.

Withering quotes Wedelius for the supposition that it was this plant, under
the name of Chara, on which the soldiers of Caesar's army subsisted when
encamped at Dyrrhachium.

A curious belief is recorded by Gerard as coming from Aristotle, that when
bears were half-starved with hibernating and had lain in their dens forty
days without any nourishment, but such as they get by 'sucking their paws,'
they were completely restored by eating this plant.

The roots, according to Gilbert White, are scratched up and eaten by
thrushes in severe snowy seasons, and the berries are devoured by several
kinds of birds, particularly by pheasants. Pigs which have eaten the fresh
tubers suffered, but none died, though it acts as an irritant and purgative.
As the leaves when bruised give out a disagreeable odour, they are not
spontaneously eaten by animals, who quickly refuse them.

Arum leaves give off prussic acid when injured, being a product of certain
glucosides contained, called cyanophoric glucosides.

jack-in-the-pulpit and skunk cabbage are non tropical arums

Peg

"A Macabre Garden" http://www.dreamwater.com/sancho/macabregarden.html

Old 12-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Roger Van Loon

Avril wrote:

Seen this on eBay
ZANTEDESCHIA 'BLACK PEARL'...and started checking out the nursery web sites
but no joy. Can any one offer any information where this can be
found...apart from eBay.
Many thanks
Avril

Hi Avril,
(as has been said recently) if you are looking for some rare plant,
just go to
http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp
In this case, for Zantedeschia Black Pearl, you will find there is one
supplier listed: Jacques Amand
Regards,
Roger.

--
Walk tall, walk straight, and look the world right into the eye.

You're welcome to visit my gardening page:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/gardenp.htm
Old 21-07-2003, 04:42 AM
Registered User

Location: sunny California USA
Wink Arum/Calla Lily Black Pearl

Hi !
I live in the US i bought Black pearl and have it planted with some of the other varieties of darker calla's, like the Black forest and midnight eclipse,I purchased mine through Hirts nursery ,im not for sure if they export but you can email them and see.thats who was selling on e-bay

this is the information they have on them

Created after many years of Dutch breeding, the waxy 4 to 5-inch blooms are a silky, midnight-black, edged in ruby-red. The individual blossoms are perfectly formed on 36-inch tall plants that are easy to grow. Black Pearl is great for cutting with its long stems and excellent lasting qualities. We ship large bulbs that will bloom the first year, and will quickly offset and offer an ever-increasing display from year to year. Requires moist locations for healthy growth, and will thrive in shade to part sun. Hardy Zones 8 to 10..

I dont have any pic's on my site to show you of them but as soon as they bloom i will .so far the plant size without any spathes is 14" same height as the midnight eclipse without flowers they both have they same leaf type {heart shaped} moderately spotted
well i hope that helps
there are so many really beautiful varieties,my Farvorite is Mango
it has somewhat rounded like a lilypad shaped leave set high on the leaf stem with moderate spotting and a beautiful firey spathe,
next to that would be hot spot and its rainbowish stop in your tracks spathe but really there are so many how could anyone just choose 1
take care and happy gardening
Debby 106 degrees in sunny california

[url=http://]http://www.fortunecity.com/underworld/multisports/53/calla.html[

Freshwater Pearl Necklace Sets Foundation for the Perfect Look(freshwater pearl necklaces) zax Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 01-04-2008 05:56 PM
Arum lily advice sought... Hugh Chaloner United Kingdom 13 14-09-2005 12:21 AM
Dead heading arum lily Alex Woodward United Kingdom 1 15-06-2005 11:34 PM
Arum lily Bel Ponds 2 26-04-2003 03:56 PM
Frost on Arum Lily David United Kingdom 1 09-04-2003 05:44 PM