Old 03-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Lancaster United Kingdom
Default Peas for thought!

Hi

Can someone help me?

I have sown the Pea Kelvedon Wonder. How can I support them, as this is the first time I have grown peas. This variety grows to 18 inches (45cm) high so the packet says.

Another question, when should I sow, as it says: For a continuous crop, sow at fortnightly intervals, when should I do this, after I have picked the last pods or well before?

Many thanks in advanced.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaynard1
Hi

Can someone help me?

I have sown the Pea Kelvedon Wonder. How can I support them, as this is the first time I have grown peas. This variety grows to 18 inches (45cm) high so the packet says.

Another question, when should I sow, as it says: For a continuous crop, sow at fortnightly intervals, when should I do this, after I have picked the last pods or well before?

Many thanks in advanced.
This is an extract from my website;

Pea sticks inserted to overlap along either side of the rows is the traditional method, wire mesh secured to canes or stakes is an alternative method, or use proprietary bean/pea plastic netting for particularly tall varieties.

Peas sticks can be substituted with small branches stuck in the soil along the row.

The tendrils will attach themselves to the sticks/twigs and give support to you peas.

As far as repeat sowings are concerned, sow at three to four week intervals.

For further information look in here;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Peas.htm
Old 03-05-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from davidmaynard1 contains
these words:

I have sown the Pea Kelvedon Wonder. How can I support them,

With a row of twiggy sticks pushed in the ground.

Another question, when should I sow, as it says: For a continuous crop,
sow at fortnightly intervals, when should I do this, after I have picked
the last pods or well before?

They mean sow some pea seeds every fortnight. Sow on May I, then May
14, May 28, etc.

Janet