Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Barrett

Default mulch

Thanks for the mulching perspectives -- gives me something to think
about....

Rob Barrett wrote:
Newbie alert....

Being quite happy with my garden's little show of spring bulbs and that
my pruned bushes are actually coming nicely back to life, I'm thinking
about my next move.

I've read in a number of places that mulching the various flower beds
and shrubs is a great thing -- better looking than bare soil, weed
control, moisture retention, etc. So I was preparing to order some bark
when I decided to look around at the gardens in my neighborhood in
Durham and I noticed that hardly any of them are mulched.

Am I missing something? What are the downsides? Why don't others do
it? Maybe I should use this as a way to meet my neighbors?

confused,
Rob

To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 09:19 AM
To Mulch or Not to Mulch Ron H Gardening 6 13-08-2006 09:06 PM
Lawn grass mulch Ann Edible Gardening 4 02-03-2003 06:27 PM
Leaf Mulch Kurt Gardening 8 06-02-2003 10:25 AM
[IBC] mulch as soil Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 1 04-02-2003 01:15 AM