Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Registered User

Location: Lincolnshire coast, UK
Default SOIL POISONING by BEECH TREES

Hi!
Is there a Forester or Tree Person out there who has expert knowledge
of this subject? I have been told that the leaves from a Beech tree will poison the ground beneath so that no other species of plant will grow. Is there scientific proof of this?
Another source suggests that this is a fallacy and that the situation is caused
by the heavy leaf litter which piles up, being slow to decompose, and allowing no new growth to get through.
Having just moved into a suburban garden with several massive Fagus Sylvatica I desperately need to know.
Dave