Old 08-05-2006, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DB01

Default bamboo leaves

i have a black stemed bamboo plant over 6 feet tall in a large pot
about 75% of the leaves are yellow
i am now giving it about of water per day

should i pull the yellow leaves off?

TIA

Old 08-05-2006, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

DB01 wrote:
i have a black stemed bamboo plant over 6 feet tall in a large pot
about 75% of the leaves are yellow
i am now giving it about of water per day

should i pull the yellow leaves off?

TIA

My guess is that you're over-watering it by a long way. Bamboos don't
like to dry right out but they don't like being extremely wet, either.
Do you let it drain after it's been watered? I'd cut the watering
down to waiting until the soil or compost feels *just* moist and then
give it a drink, letting it drain, too. If it's outdoors, could it
have been caught by frost?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-05-2006, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DB01

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

DB01 wrote:
i have a black stemed bamboo plant over 6 feet tall in a large pot
about 75% of the leaves are yellow
i am now giving it about of water per day

should i pull the yellow leaves off?

TIA

My guess is that you're over-watering it by a long way. Bamboos don't
like to dry right out but they don't like being extremely wet, either.
Do you let it drain after it's been watered? I'd cut the watering
down to waiting until the soil or compost feels *just* moist and then
give it a drink, letting it drain, too. If it's outdoors, could it
have been caught by frost?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Thanks for the info
It is outside but in a sheltered spot
I don't think the frost has got to it

what about the leaves, should i pull the dead ones off?

Old 08-05-2006, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

DB01 wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

DB01 wrote:
[...]

I'd wait and see if they drop off of their own accord. It's also
possible that it's simply getting rid of old leaves and will put on new
ones, so to be honest, I'd be inclined to leave the poor thing alone
and just don't drown it! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-05-2006, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DB01

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

DB01 wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

DB01 wrote:
[...]

Yes Miss
I promise to do what I'm told :-))

The leaves are hiding the brill black stems.

but i will be patient

thanx

eugene
Berkshire

Old 08-05-2006, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

Yes Miss
I promise to do what I'm told :-))

The leaves are hiding the brill black stems.

but i will be patient

thanx

eugene
Berkshire

Some people remove the lower leaves so you can see the stems better.

Paul
Old 08-05-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DB01

"Paul" wrote in message

Yes Miss
I promise to do what I'm told :-))

The leaves are hiding the brill black stems.

but i will be patient

thanx

eugene
Berkshire

Some people remove the lower leaves so you can see the stems better.

Paul

good idea!

thanx Paul

Old 08-05-2006, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

DB01 writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
roups.com...

what about the leaves, should i pull the dead ones off?

I'd wait and see if they drop off of their own accord. It's also
possible that it's simply getting rid of old leaves and will put on new
ones, so to be honest, I'd be inclined to leave the poor thing alone
and just don't drown it! ;-)

I'm not recommending it as a growing method, but I've frequently had my
pot-grown bamboo curl its leaf edges together as an indication that it's
dry and trying to conserve water, and it hasn't done it lasting harm. As
a rule of thumb 'too dry' is a problem with plants less often than 'too
wet', and it's a lot quicker to correct!

The leaves are hiding the brill black stems.

If the leaves are dead, there won't be any harm in removing them. I envy
you your capacity for patience.
--
Kay
Old 09-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB01
i have a black stemed bamboo plant over 6 feet tall in a large pot
about 75% of the leaves are yellow
i am now giving it about of water per day

should i pull the yellow leaves off?

TIA
Are the culms (ie stems) green in the first year they emerge, going black gradually in the following year or two? In that case you probably have black bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra). If it now fills the pot, it probably needs dividing - cut it in half vertically, may need a saw to get through the roots, and put one half back into the pot with new compost. You can sell the other half for good money. You should divide it every second year.

If the culms are all dark pretty much as soon as they emerge, then you probably have Fargesia nitida. In that case it is flowering and will probably die and there is nothing much you can do to save it other than pray - don't feed it.

There was a garden open day in my local village this weekend, and both the Fargesia nitida specimens I saw were flowering. One was practically dead already, the other had only just started. This worldwide flowering episode started in 2003, and new plants grown from seed are already available.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DB01

"echinosum" wrote in message

DB01 Wrote:
[...]

Good idea - It is Phyllostachys nigra. I will do as you suggest. Only
problem is I can't lift it on my own. When is the best time to divide the
plant

Old 11-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB01
It is Phyllostachys nigra. I will do as you suggest. Only
problem is I can't lift it on my own. When is the best time to divide the
plant
Spring or autumn.