Old 09-04-2003, 08:32 PM
L425CAJ

Default digging up lawn

I want to dig up a small lawn and replace it with a a herbaceous border and a
patch for annuals. Should I just turn the sods over and dig them in or should I
remove them ??

Thanks - Geoff
Old 09-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
L425CAJ wrote:
I want to dig up a small lawn and replace it with a a herbaceous border and a
patch for annuals. Should I just turn the sods over and dig them in or should I
remove them ??

Ideally, remove the turf, move the top 6-12" of soil, replace the turf
upside down, and replace the turf. Crude "double digging". If too
inconvenient, stack the turf and use it to make potting compost when
it rots down into loam :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Mike Gilmore

Herbaceous plants do well in a minimum 18" of good rich soil. The more you
can do/afford to get the ground right the better your border will be in the
long run before you start planting. A good foundation will prove itself and
save time. Weeding becomes a problem with new planting of such borders but
stick with it the results will speak volumes - good kuck.

--
Regards,
Mike Gilmore

"L425CAJ" wrote in message
I want to dig up a small lawn and replace it with a a herbaceous border

and a
patch for annuals. Should I just turn the sods over and dig them in or

should I
remove them ??

Thanks - Geoff

Fox digging up new lawn Anthony Ward United Kingdom 8 16-06-2005 07:25 PM
Digging over a plot in order to plant a lawn Stoneskin Lawns 1 28-04-2004 04:13 PM
Pond Digging 101 BenignVanilla Ponds 13 26-03-2003 09:44 PM
digging dog Alan Holmes Edible Gardening 0 23-01-2003 10:56 PM