Old 24-03-2003, 02:32 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Pond Digging 101

Lesson #4832 - When digging a pond hole, do not deposit dirt in trailer near
new pond hole.

I have a small trailer, maybe a cubic yard or so in size, sitting next to
the pond hole. As I have been digging, I cart the dirt (aka clay) away and
use it around the yard. The trailer sat there all winter and apparently
gained some moisture which made it quite heavy. Saturday, I went out to do
some more digging. As I began to toss dirt (aka water soaked clay) into the
trailer, I did not notice I had placed more on the backend then on the
frontend of the trailer. As the trailer filled with dirt (aka really
freakin' heavy water soaked clay), it began to tilt on it's axle. Moments
later the entire trailer of SUPER HEAVY WATER SOAKED CLAY dumped...right
back into the hole.

This does not bode well at all.

--
BenignVanilla
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 24-03-2003, 04:08 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
Lesson #4832 - When digging a pond hole, do not deposit dirt in trailer near
new pond hole.

This does not bode well at all.

--
BenignVanilla
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.
tibetanbeefgarden.com
x-no-archive: yes

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

ROFL maybe a hint to get rid of winter gain?????
a Bobcat comes to mind here

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 24-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Steve in 236

Oops!

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 24-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Steve

Rule number one: When selecting a trailer, get one twice as big as you
think you need.
Rule number two: When loading a trailer, put only half as much on it as it
looks like it will hold.
Rule number three: Murphy's Law prevails.

--
Steve

MHO ONLY..... YMM(and probably does)V

"Steve in 236" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Oops!

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 24-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
[...]

A very good example of Murphy's Law ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 24-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Renes Smither

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Thanks for sharing that story. I has made me feel better as I was having a
bad day at work, nothing was going right, and now I know it's not just me:-)

Renes

Old 24-03-2003, 05:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"Renes Smither" wrote in message
snip
Thanks for sharing that story. I has made me feel better as I was having a
bad day at work, nothing was going right, and now I know it's not just

me:-)

This happened Saturday afternoon. When I call my house...my wife is still
laughing.

BV.

Old 24-03-2003, 07:08 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

This does not bode well at all.

Yes it does, for us the audience.

Old 25-03-2003, 01:44 AM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

For one thing I would rent me a Bob Cat to dig the hole which from the one I
dug manually a 9x5x3 last year; will be way bigger!

Sacha
Old 25-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Jon

I dug mine in an area that couldn't be accessed easily by even a small
machine like the Bobcat type and that sized equipment. I dug mine by myself
with the assistance of a gas powered one man auger (posthole digger) rented
from the local Home Depot for $35 for the day.... Just punched holes to the
depth that I estimated and had great control how the hole turned out... I
had really hard clay like material that I had to dig down through combined
with roots from a palm tree to deal with. When I got enough holes dug I
just connected the dots so to speak. I then used a tool called a Mutt which
is a large chisel like tool to sculpture out the hole. A hole lot better
than digging it with a shovel.... (pun intended.)

Jon Nyhus
Glendale, Arizona

Old 25-03-2003, 03:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
For one thing I would rent me a Bob Cat to dig the hole which from the one

dug manually a 9x5x3 last year; will be way bigger!

I thought about renting one...but I figure pretty soon, I'll be buying a
liner, miles of PVC, a pump, plants, etc. Anyway I can keep costs down...is
a good thing. So a shovel it is...

Old 25-03-2003, 08:44 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
For one thing I would rent me a Bob Cat to dig the hole which from the one

dug manually a 9x5x3 last year; will be way bigger!

I thought about renting one...but I figure pretty soon, I'll be buying a
liner, miles of PVC, a pump, plants, etc. Anyway I can keep costs down...is
a good thing. So a shovel it is...

You might check, as the rental place may have hand tools as well. A
post hole digger might come in handy. Rental rates are largely based on
repair costs, and something that doesn't break down rents fairly cheap
($10-20/day).
Old 26-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Snooze

There is only 1 thing that such an event needs, pictures! preferably of a
load trailer followed by an unloaded trailer tilted up into the air, and a
pile of dirt in the center of a former hole.

Sameer

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 26-03-2003, 09:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"Snooze" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
There is only 1 thing that such an event needs, pictures! preferably of a
load trailer followed by an unloaded trailer tilted up into the air, and a
pile of dirt in the center of a former hole.

I as you can imagine...I quickly did away with all evidence.

BV.

pond lighting 101 k conover Ponds 13 04-08-2004 03:21 PM
Filter Design 101 Question AngrieWoman Ponds 10 30-05-2003 04:20 PM
[IBC] 101 Chemistry Lesson randi sharp Bonsai 0 27-03-2003 04:08 AM
Water Hyacinth 101? Lee Brouillet Ponds 19 18-03-2003 07:44 PM
[IBC] root theory 101 Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 27-01-2003 04:26 AM