Old 10-05-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ade

Default Soil/Compost for Allotment

I have a new allotment with new raised beds, on clay soil. I want to add
soil or compost to the raised beds. It's a new allotment so I don't have
any home-made compost, so I'll have to buy some.

What's best to use - B&Q multi-purpose, fancy soil conditioner, ordinary
topsoil, or something else?

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Ade" wrote in message
I have a new allotment with new raised beds, on clay soil. I want to add
soil or compost to the raised beds. It's a new allotment so I don't have
any home-made compost, so I'll have to buy some.

Why are you so anxious to add more soil, is the present soil so bad?

Why don't you just try it and see what happens, I would not just add more
for the fun of it.

Alan

Old 10-05-2006, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner

Ade wrote:
I have a new allotment with new raised beds, on clay soil. I want to add
soil or compost to the raised beds. It's a new allotment so I don't have
any home-made compost, so I'll have to buy some.

What's best to use - B&Q multi-purpose, fancy soil conditioner, ordinary
topsoil, or something else?

Well, not topsoil for a start!

Assuming a four-bed rotation, add B&Q cheap soil conditioner and manure
to the potato and brassica beds, soil conditioner alone to the legumes
and nothing or soil conditioner alone to the onion/beetroot etc. bed.
Only one spadeful per square yard is needed. Clay soil is very
nutritious: what is needed is organic matter. Sharp sand/grit can also
be dug in to improve structure.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ade

I have a new allotment with new raised beds, on clay soil. I want to add
soil or compost to the raised beds. It's a new allotment so I don't

have
any home-made compost, so I'll have to buy some.

Why are you so anxious to add more soil, is the present soil so bad?
Why don't you just try it and see what happens, I would not just add more
for the fun of it.

When I dig the soil, it's just great big lumps of heavy clod, so I thought
adding soil would help? I'm new to this allotment lark and haven't got a
clue what I'm doing !

Old 10-05-2006, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner

Ade wrote:
I have a new allotment with new raised beds, on clay soil. I want to add
soil or compost to the raised beds. It's a new allotment so I don't

have
any home-made compost, so I'll have to buy some.

Why are you so anxious to add more soil, is the present soil so bad?
Why don't you just try it and see what happens, I would not just add more
for the fun of it.

When I dig the soil, it's just great big lumps of heavy clod, so I thought
adding soil would help? I'm new to this allotment lark and haven't got a
clue what I'm doing !

Then don't dig it! Google no-dig gardening. Use a fork rather than a
spade if the ground is compacted.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

"Ade" wrote in message
I have a new allotment with new raised beds, on clay soil. I want to add
soil or compost to the raised beds. It's a new allotment so I don't have
any home-made compost, so I'll have to buy some.

What's best to use - B&Q multi-purpose, fancy soil conditioner, ordinary
topsoil, or something else?

Thanks.

Potato - helps break down clay compaction
Beans in another bed - fix nitrogen
Roots in third bed

Buy some John Innes soil based compost and start all your seeds in that.
Sprinkle a line of JI along the bed for your root veg which do not
transplant well.
Rest of compost in pots, trays, cut down milk bottles, tin bath, WHYG
Transplant when large enough to handle.

Next year you will have more compost than you know what to do with.

Ask your fellow allotmenteers what types and brands grow well in your area.

Ask on your local freecycle if anyone has manure going spare. We have two
stables nearby (within 20 miles)
which run a 'bring your own trailer and shovel - help yourself'. Leave it in
the corner for six months. Sorted.

Can recommend the no-work garden by Bob flowerdew. Pick it up from your
local library.

Also www.Downsizer.net

HTH

Dave