Old 10-05-2006, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts

Default Something that looks like Parsley....

Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed :-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R
Old 10-05-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David WE Roberts wrote:
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed :-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

Wild (ho ho ho) guess:

Pineapple weed (smells of pineapple when crushed)/Matricaria
matricaroides?
http://www.lib.k-state.edu/wildflowe.../pineapple.jpg

Old 10-05-2006, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts

On Wed, 10 May 2006 02:57:56 -0700, dazzhiggins wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed :-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

Wild (ho ho ho) guess:

Pineapple weed (smells of pineapple when crushed)/Matricaria
matricaroides?
http://www.lib.k-state.edu/wildflowe.../pineapple.jpg

No - wrong leaf shape.

I should also have mentioned that there is no smell when the leaves are
crushed.

I will post a picture when I have time.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 10-05-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David WE Roberts wrote:
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed :-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

Wild (ho ho ho) guess:

Pineapple weed (smells of pineapple when crushed)/Matricaria
matricaroides?
http://www.lib.k-state.edu/wildflowe.../pineapple.jpg

No - wrong leaf shape.

Any chance you could help and say what the leaf shape is? :-)

Old 13-05-2006, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

Have not had time to read all correspondence, but sounds like cow parsely-a
weed.
Regards
David T
news

David WE Roberts wrote:
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed
:-)

Old 10-05-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

writes

David WE Roberts wrote:
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed :-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

Wild (ho ho ho) guess:

Pineapple weed (smells of pineapple when crushed)/Matricaria
matricaroides?
http://www.lib.k-state.edu/wildflowe.../pineapple.jpg

Herb Robert? (Geranium robertianum)

http://www.foxysislandwalks.com/Wild...erb-Robert.jpg

Evil smell when you pull it out. Dark green leaves, tends to have light
patterns, often red stems, coming from a central rosette which forms a
convenient 'lump' to grab hold of when pulling out a plant. Easy to
uproot, but seeds like nothing on earth to give a complete carpet of
seedlings.

--
Kay
Old 10-05-2006, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave P

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
news
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed
:-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

My guess............

Creeping Buttercup.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/crbutcup.htm

Dave

Old 10-05-2006, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave P wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
news
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed
:-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

My guess............

Creeping Buttercup.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/crbutcup.htm

ahhhhhh "dark green leaves with white flecks"
and mention of prolific
ok, my money is on that now
(I am very fickle in the face of superior knowledge)

Dave

Old 11-05-2006, 01:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy

Creeping Buttercup ( Ranunculus ) spreads via underground rhizome (?) so it
kind of works its way along an area. Not actually uninteresting as a flower,
but invasive. I have it in areas that are a bit damp and shady, I don't know
whether that's accidental or it just likes those conditions.

Andy.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 11-05-2006, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance

On Thu, 11 May 2006 Andy wrote:

Creeping Buttercup ( Ranunculus ) spreads via underground rhizome (?) so it
kind of works its way along an area.

More like an overground runner, similar to strawberries. I know - I've
dug enough of them up!

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 12-05-2006, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts

On Wed, 10 May 2006 14:46:03 +0100, Dave P wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
news
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed
:-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

My guess............

Creeping Buttercup.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/crbutcup.htm

Dave

[Apologies for delay in responding]

Spot on - that looks exactly like it.

So it is destined for the chop.

Flowers May to.... still no sign of flowers.

Thanks

Dave R

Old 12-05-2006, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

It is vile, goddawful stuff. My weed hate list topper now that I'm rid
of ground elder.
I just read the webpage Dave posted - seeds can remain viable in the
ground for up to 80 years!!!. I think I'm going to have a bout of
botanic depression.

Cat(h)