Old 11-05-2006, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Flies swarm around my back door

Hi,

This may or may not be easy to answer, but I noticed in the last month
that I have a big swarm of annoying little black flies swarming in my
back garden around my back door over my patio.

I can't see anything that would be attracting them (its pretty dry, no
food, compost or anything). They are really annoying due to the fact
every time I go out of my backdoor the cloud confronts me. I am not
sure how many there are, it doesn't seem a massive number but they
seem to have taken up residence outside my backdoor, adjacent to my
side gate, there is also a 6 foot fence there. Its a shady spot that
the sun only gets to later in the day on account of my gate/fence
blocking a lot of the sun.

I want to eradicate these annoying flies if I can. I seriously hope
they are not going to be hanging around long term, as I want to be
sitting outside my back window in the nice weather. Where will they
live? Why do they seem to love this spot? (I assume because it's
shady and out of the wind). Can I kill them easily? Will they just
return?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 11-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
[...]

How large are they? If you live near a chicken shed, they could be lesser house flies.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

a very simple method to reduce their numbers is fly paper. I always hang
some over the back door over summer and catch mozzies, flys, moths etc.
Though it may stink a little close up, have a look round for some form of
bated fly trap. Flys buzz in after the smell but can't buzz out. I use on of
those in the garden away from the house and it sucks up any flies that may
be on their way inside.

rob

Old 12-05-2006, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Pest Effects wrote:

Mike Wrote:

How large are they? If you live near a chicken shed, they could be
lesser house flies.

Not so big, about 5mm or so in length. Brown-black in colour. I don't
think I live near a chicken shed. Someone mentioned in the office that
I could have a look in my gutters to make sure they are clear. It was
said that eggs can be laid there and when they hatch the flies just
congregate between the ground floor and second floor.

Cheers,

Mike