Old 17-05-2006, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

Default Plant Id please

This is one of 6 identical plants from a fellow gardener's packet of blight
resistant tomatoes... which that aren't ... are they? They look similar to a
certain weed but surely for the whole packet to produce the same plant it
must be a garden worthy plant of some type. Can anyone help please?

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rob.../ph//my_photos

Gardening in Plymouth www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 17-05-2006, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Persicaria?
If it is you don't want it.

Sue W

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old 17-05-2006, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Robert" wrote ...
This is one of 6 identical plants from a fellow gardener's packet of
blight
resistant tomatoes... which that aren't ... are they? They look similar to
certain weed but surely for the whole packet to produce the same plant it
must be a garden worthy plant of some type. Can anyone help please?

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rob.../ph//my_photos

In everyone's book that is a weed, and you do not want it setting seed.
Either Persicaria maculosa or perhaps P. amphibia in it's emersed form.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-05-2006, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue wrote:
Persicaria?
If it is you don't want it.

looks like;
in my day it was Polygonum persicaria or something similar or knotweed
which is ironic because it bleedin well is a weed.

Sue W

Old 17-05-2006, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

Thanks all, well what on earth is a reputable firm doing distributing that
awful plant. I shall get the person to contact them.

Gardening in Plymouth www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 17-05-2006, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert writes
This is one of 6 identical plants from a fellow gardener's packet of blight
resistant tomatoes... which that aren't ... are they? They look similar to a
certain weed but surely for the whole packet to produce the same plant it
must be a garden worthy plant of some type. Can anyone help please?

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rob...lbum?.dir=bc8c
re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_
photos

Gardening in Plymouth www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Persicaria. Is your fellow gardener completely sure they germinated from
the packet of seeds, and wasn't simply in the soil in which the
non-germinating tomato seed were sown?

--
Kay
Old 17-05-2006, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"K" wrote in message
: Robert writes
: This is one of 6 identical plants from a fellow gardener's packet of
blight
: resistant tomatoes... which that aren't ... are they? They look similar
to a
: certain weed but surely for the whole packet to produce the same plant it
: must be a garden worthy plant of some type. Can anyone help please?

: Gardening in Plymouth www.rraa.moonfruit.com
:
:
: Persicaria. Is your fellow gardener completely sure they germinated from
: the packet of seeds, and wasn't simply in the soil in which the
: non-germinating tomato seed were sown?
:
: --
: Kay

Yes definitely, he transplanted them into position and has even tied them to
canes in case they were something useful even though they were apparently
not tomatoes. The plant is only in those 6 positions, does not show anywhere
else

Old 18-05-2006, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

--
[...]

I love this optimism! (And the thought of persicaria growing up canes!)

Sue W.

Old 19-05-2006, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"Sue" wrote in message
:
: Yes definitely, he transplanted them into position and has even tied
them
: canes in case they were something useful even though they were
apparently
: not tomatoes.
:
:
: I love this optimism! (And the thought of persicaria growing up canes!)
:
: Sue W.
:

True but then we gardeners are optimists aren't we!?

Old 19-05-2006, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Robert wrote

Yes definitely, he transplanted them into position and has even tied
them
: canes in case they were something useful even though they were
apparently
: not tomatoes.
:
:
: I love this optimism! (And the thought of persicaria growing up canes!)
:
: Sue W.
:

True but then we gardeners are optimists aren't we!?

Agreed. I never throw anything away, however dead it looks, without leaving
it for a season.

Well, plants that is.

Well,and clothes.

Sue W.