Old 19-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Registered User

Default Tomato problem

Hello, My name is sylvia and new to the forum and this is my first post...could someone please advise me on what this problem mite be. I have planted 6 tomatoes in my greenhouse in growbags and for the last month they have been growing well, the temperature in the greenhouse has risen to 90 degree's on odd occasions because of our english weather but has been well ventilated, but has now dropped to about 60/ 70. the problem is-is that all of a sudden the ends of the leaves look like they have been scorched and grey and have gone all soft and wilted this has only happend to the ends of the leaves, this has also happenend to the cucumbers in the same greenhouse, any advise would be greatly apreciated as to the cause of the proplem...or do i throw them away and start again but if i do mite i have the same problem.Thankyou for any help.Sylvia.
Old 19-05-2006, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sylvia wrote:
Hello, My name is sylvia and new to the forum and this is my first
post...could someone please advise me on what this problem mite be. I
have planted 6 tomatoes in my greenhouse in growbags and for the last
month they have been growing well, the temperature in the greenhouse
has risen to 90 degree's on odd occasions because of our english
weather but has been well ventilated, but has now dropped to about 60/
70. the problem is-is that all of a sudden the ends of the leaves look
like they have been scorched and grey and have gone all soft and wilted
this has only happend to the ends of the leaves, this has also happenend
to the cucumbers in the same greenhouse, any advise would be greatly
apreciated as to the cause of the proplem...or do i throw them away and
start again but if i do mite i have the same problem.Thankyou for any
help.Sylvia.

Two things spring to mind: irregular watering and lack of feed like
potash. Have you been irregular with watering? When did you last feed
your plants?

Old 19-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Puce
Sylvia wrote:
[...]

they are watered regularly and realy havn't been in long enought to start feeding they have only just started to show there flowering buds and some have only just got there flowers, and are planted in grow bags (3 per bag)
Old 19-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia
they are watered regularly and realy havn't been in long enought to start feeding they have only just started to show there flowering buds and some have only just got there flowers, and are planted in grow bags (3 per bag)
Here are some picy's of the problem.
http://www.kenandsylvia.zoomshare.co...type_album.css
and 1 of the cucumber.http://www.kenandsylvia.zoomshare.com/:tools
Old 19-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Registered User

[quote=Sylvia]Here are some picy's of the problem.
http://www.kenandsylvia.zoomshare.co...type_album.css

Old 19-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Registered User

[quote=Sylvia]
and a picy of the cucumbers.http://www.kenandsylvia.zoomshare.co...type_album.css
Old 19-05-2006, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter C

I agree with the irregular watering, perhaps also allowing them to dry
out ( lack of water) may have been the cause of the problem However as
I understand it, You do not feed tomatoe plants until the first truss
of tomatoes appear , if you do you just . encourage leave growth ,
Peter.

Old 19-05-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Peter C wrote:
I agree with the irregular watering, perhaps also allowing them to dry
out ( lack of water) may have been the cause of the problem However as
I understand it, You do not feed tomatoe plants until the first truss
of tomatoes appear , if you do you just . encourage leave growth ,

Yes and scorch roots and damage leaves therefore )

Old 19-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia

Looks like Chlorosis to me,that is they are lacking in Magnesium, try a teaspoonful of epsom salts in a gallon of water.