Old 23-05-2006, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Pentreath

Default Wisteria in a pot?

I've decided I want something nice growing up the front wall of the
house and after a bit or research I've homed in on Chinese Wisteria
(Wisteria sinensis). However, it's not going to be possible to plant it
directly in the ground. Would it be realistic to grow it in a pot, and
if so how big a pot would I need? I'm worried that in a pot its growth
would be stunted. I would like it to grow to around 4m-5m in height.
What do you think?

Old 23-05-2006, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Pentreath

PS I rather like this one.

http://savvertz.notlong.com

Old 23-05-2006, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've decided I want something nice growing up the front wall of the
house and after a bit or research I've homed in on Chinese Wisteria
(Wisteria sinensis). However, it's not going to be possible to plant it
directly in the ground. Would it be realistic to grow it in a pot, and
if so how big a pot would I need? I'm worried that in a pot its growth
would be stunted. I would like it to grow to around 4m-5m in height.
What do you think?

I've seen it done, but read that one shouldn't grow wisteria in pots! The
one I saw in Devon looked content enough, can't remember the height but it
wasn't a tiddler.

I get a decent sized planter though, to be on the safe side. Are you
prepared to keep watering it?

Andy.

Old 24-05-2006, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've decided I want something nice growing up the front wall of the
house and after a bit or research I've homed in on Chinese Wisteria
(Wisteria sinensis). However, it's not going to be possible to plant it
directly in the ground. Would it be realistic to grow it in a pot, and
if so how big a pot would I need? I'm worried that in a pot its growth
would be stunted. I would like it to grow to around 4m-5m in height.
What do you think?

I am certainly no expert but can't see why this shouldn't work.
Don't know how well it would blossom being pot grown and IIRC
it takes several years before full blossom occurs.
I suspect you would have to arrange matters so that you can repot the
plant as & when required. This might involve placing the first pot
some way above ground in order that subsequent larger pots can
be located lower.
Height & spread would be dictated by your training & pruning.
I have 3 of these. All are a joy to behold when in blossom and all
require considerable maintenance
1 is about 60 years old, height is kept to about 5m and spread is
(free range) about 30m. The main stem is about 30cm across. I fear this
may have to go as it is lifting paving, I shudder to think what it might
be doing to the house.
2 is about 25yo. Height 8m, spread 7m. Strictly controlled otherwise
it would have the tiles off the roof.
3 is about 15yo. Height 3m, spread 12m. I've let this one go but now
need to get it under some control.

In short I think wistaria might not be the best choice.
Have you considered camellia? More suited to pot growth,
good year round foliage and a wonderful sight of a spring
morning.

Old 24-05-2006, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Nick" wrote in message

[...]

Since a happy Wisteria sinensis in the ground might be expected to achieve

some 20 to 40M I suspect stunting it a bit in a pot wouldn't be a bad thing!
They do however need plenty of water while in growth, personally I wouldn't
try a pot smaller than half barrel size (approx 100lt)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-05-2006, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Since a happy Wisteria sinensis in the ground might be expected to achieve

some 20 to 40M I suspect stunting it a bit in a pot wouldn't be a bad thing!
They do however need plenty of water while in growth, personally I wouldn't
try a pot smaller than half barrel size (approx 100lt)

I'd one in a pot for 6 years - never flowered. Has one now on the side
of the house for 8 years - never flowered. I know I've told all of you
last year, I prune it right, I'm sure - still no flower. I am doing
something wrong, I must be. I'm now considering taking it all down and
finding something else. This year I had lots and lots and lots of
leaves and wept at 3 door's down my street front garden looking at
their tiny wisteria but with 100 of flowers on it (

Old 24-05-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Wed, 24 May 2006 11:20:33 +0100, La Puce wrote
(in article .com):

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Since a happy Wisteria sinensis in the ground might be expected to achieve

some 20 to 40M I suspect stunting it a bit in a pot wouldn't be a bad thing!
They do however need plenty of water while in growth, personally I wouldn't
try a pot smaller than half barrel size (approx 100lt)

I'd one in a pot for 6 years - never flowered. Has one now on the side
of the house for 8 years - never flowered. I know I've told all of you
last year, I prune it right, I'm sure - still no flower. I am doing
something wrong, I must be. I'm now considering taking it all down and
finding something else. This year I had lots and lots and lots of
leaves and wept at 3 door's down my street front garden looking at
their tiny wisteria but with 100 of flowers on it (

Perhaps your wisterias are not grafted ones. Non-grafted tend to take 8
years or so to flower.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-05-2006, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

al.net...

Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

It is just seedlings that take their time, grafting is just a method of
producing cloned plants which maintain the age of the plant the graft came
off but the same thing applies to cuttings, I do Wisteria from both hard and
softwood cuttings and the hardwood ones are a pest for flowering when still
in the propagator (they look very silly 4" high with 30" flower trusses)
They are normally grafted in order to produce large quantities for sale as
cuttings are rather heavy on material and you would need more stock plants.

La Puce, try increasing light levels if you can, stop using pelleted chicken
manure as it encourages growth rather than flower, prune only in July/August
not in the winter or bend some stems down and train horizontally and be
patient, they all flower eventually :~)

Old 24-05-2006, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On 24 May 2006 03:20:33 -0700
"La Puce" wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Since a happy Wisteria sinensis in the ground might be expected to achieve

some 20 to 40M I suspect stunting it a bit in a pot wouldn't be a bad thing!
They do however need plenty of water while in growth, personally I wouldn't
try a pot smaller than half barrel size (approx 100lt)

I'd one in a pot for 6 years - never flowered. Has one now on the side
of the house for 8 years - never flowered. I know I've told all of you
last year, I prune it right, I'm sure - still no flower. I am doing
something wrong, I must be. I'm now considering taking it all down and
finding something else. This year I had lots and lots and lots of
leaves and wept at 3 door's down my street front garden looking at
their tiny wisteria but with 100 of flowers on it (

Do you fertilize? I only ask, because I don't, and mine is flowering
well. I planted an 'alba' 2 years ago (this is it's third season) and it's
flowering beautifully this year, on a south wall. I cut it hard last fall.

We have 2 purple ones on an east wall, the display is incredible this year.
Again after brutal pruning. They're about 8 yrs old, but have bloomed for
about 5 now.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 24-05-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Emery Davis wrote:
Do you fertilize? I only ask, because I don't, and mine is flowering
well. I planted an 'alba' 2 years ago (this is it's third season) and it's
flowering beautifully this year, on a south wall. I cut it hard last fall.

Yes, I throw it some chicken pellets every spring as I do the whole
garden. I've never cut it hard tho, and as Sacha mentioned I don't know
if it's grafted either. I've had it so long. Look at the link. It's
lovely, but I'd rather have flowers!

We have 2 purple ones on an east wall, the display is incredible this year.
Again after brutal pruning. They're about 8 yrs old, but have bloomed for
about 5 now.

heart pang I will cut it hard in the fall then and perhaps won't feed
it in the spring. I have an ivy growing on the wall with it, do you
think that would bother it in some way?

http://cjoint.com/?fyqK71oLvx

Old 24-05-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Martin Pentreath" wrote
I've decided I want something nice growing up the front wall of the
house and after a bit or research I've homed in on Chinese Wisteria
(Wisteria sinensis). However, it's not going to be possible to plant
it directly in the ground. Would it be realistic to grow it in a pot,
and if so how big a pot would I need? I'm worried that in a pot its
growth would be stunted. I would like it to grow to around 4m-5m in
height. What do you think?

I've seen one at a local garden centre kept as a standard in a large
tub. It was flowering beautifully, smelt delicious and I've coveted one
myself ever since. I don't see why you couldn't grow one against a wall
in a pot; in fact it would stop it getting too rampant. Here's the RHS
page with advice on the training:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0605/wisteria.asp

--
Sue

Old 25-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue
Here's the RHS
page with advice on the training:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0605/wisteria.asp
thanks, think i may have ago to a standard seeing as there's a free sinesis in june's gardeners world mag, which i'm very hopeful will be single stemmed.

while on topic think i saw a picture of a beautiful honeysuckle standard in a magazine a few years ago, only difference was this were multistemmed