Old 25-05-2006, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID please for beginner

MaggieW wrote:
Hi Rick,

http://www.pbase.com/rikwatson/plants

Here are a couple of photos of 2 plants I'm unsure of.
Any help is very very welcome!!

I see you've got more pics up now.

I think the third pic is a geranium, will prob have pink/purplish
flowers, likes sun or part shade or even full shade I think (we've
considered it for our back yard, since the snails have eaten my nice
hostas). Not the same as the "geraniums" often grown in pots and
baskets - those are pelargoniums.

I don't know the name of no 4, though I know it as lambs ears. I think

Stachys lanata is posh name for Lamb's ears.
Looks like it alright (and Geranium and purple sage for other 2
agreed).
You are as knowledgeable as most round here Maggie :-).

Des

it will have cerise flowers later on in the summer (should it ever
arrive!). Prob drought resistance due to all that hair on the leaves.

No 5 looks like purple sage to me.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will leap in! I only just found this
NG and am already finding it both useful and fun.

Maggie

Old 25-05-2006, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

wrote:
Stachys lanata is posh name for Lamb's ears.
Looks like it alright (and Geranium and purple sage for other 2
agreed).

That's not Stachys (lambs ears). My garden is full of the stuff and the
leaves are narrower and longer. I have the white variety only - it lits
up the garden in the evening. It looks more like the hairy verbascum
with yellow flowers. I had one once but it gave me the creeps.
Thankfully my father in law damaged it so badly while racking our
fallen leaves, I had to get rid of it. Ho shame ;o)

Old 25-05-2006, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
wrote:
Stachys lanata is posh name for Lamb's ears.
Looks like it alright (and Geranium and purple sage for other 2
agreed).

That's not Stachys (lambs ears). My garden is full of the stuff and the
leaves are narrower and longer. I have the white variety only - it lits

looks like it?
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/stalanata.htm
It should have a square cross section stem and leaves in opposite pairs
up the stem?

up the garden in the evening. It looks more like the hairy verbascum
with yellow flowers. I had one once but it gave me the creeps.
Thankfully my father in law damaged it so badly while racking our
fallen leaves, I had to get rid of it. Ho shame ;o)

verbascum fits the hairy part but I don't think that thing is it;

Old 25-05-2006, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

wrote:
looks like it?
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/stalanata.htm
It should have a square cross section stem and leaves in opposite pairs
up the stem?

My mistake - I'm trying to do to many things at one time here. I have
lychnis growing everywhere. The white variety.

verbascum fits the hairy part but I don't think that thing is it;

Maybe not in such a large clump indeed.

Old 25-05-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
wrote:
looks like it?
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/stalanata.htm
It should have a square cross section stem and leaves in opposite pairs
up the stem?

My mistake - I'm trying to do to many things at one time here. I have
lychnis growing everywhere. The white variety.

You are not the only one; someone else refereed to Lychnis as lamb's
ear; common names are confusing, never mind if you try to change
between English and French; Lychnis is Dusty Miller or Rose Campion
but these names get moved around.

Old 25-05-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

MaggieW writes

I think the third pic is a geranium, will prob have pink/purplish
flowers, likes sun or part shade or even full shade I think (we've
considered it for our back yard, since the snails have eaten my nice
hostas).

There are many species of geranium, some of which will tolerate shade,
some of which need full sun, so if your back yard is shady, choose
carefully. They flower through the whole range of white, pink, purple,
blue.
I can confirm that they're not troubled by slugs and snails

--
Kay
Old 25-05-2006, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

writes

La Puce wrote:
wrote:
looks like it?
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/stalanata.htm
It should have a square cross section stem and leaves in opposite pairs
up the stem?

My mistake - I'm trying to do to many things at one time here. I have
lychnis growing everywhere. The white variety.

You are not the only one; someone else refereed to Lychnis as lamb's
ear; common names are confusing, never mind if you try to change
between English and French; Lychnis is Dusty Miller or Rose Campion
but these names get moved around.

I know auricula as dusty miller
--
Kay
Old 25-05-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Thu, 25 May 2006 21:51:47 +0100, La Puce wrote
(in article .com):

K wrote:
I know auricula as dusty miller

But auricula is a primrose isn't it? And the dusty miller doesn't
flower - has silver leaves and I think Sacha uses it in her hanging
basket as Cenecio or Senesio ... Maybe the name changed by regions?

Auricula is Primula. We don't use that in hanging baskets but apparently,
the other 'dusty miller' is Senecio cineraria, if I remember that correctly.
Common names *always* change by regions, which is why knowing the Latin name
does help so much and gives a common language to gardeners.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-05-2006, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha Hubbard writes

K wrote:
I know auricula as dusty miller

But auricula is a primrose isn't it?

Auricula is Primula auricula, so is in the same genus as primrose,
Primula vulgaris. It's known as dusty miller because of the flour-like
white dusting on the flowers

--
Kay

Old 26-05-2006, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
writes

La Puce wrote:
wrote:
looks like it?
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/stalanata.htm
It should have a square cross section stem and leaves in opposite pairs
up the stem?

My mistake - I'm trying to do to many things at one time here. I have
lychnis growing everywhere. The white variety.

You are not the only one; someone else refereed to Lychnis as lamb's
ear; common names are confusing, never mind if you try to change
between English and French; Lychnis is Dusty Miller or Rose Campion
but these names get moved around.

I know auricula as dusty miller

I did say the names were confusing :-)

--