Old 25-05-2006, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Solomon's Seal

I decided our large clump of Solomon's Seal just had to go - don't find the
plant particularly attractive and (based on previous years) it will be
covered in caterpillars in a few weeks time.

When I started to dig them up I was amazed at the tuber/root system - it
seems to go on for ever. It is very unlikely that I will get every bit out.
Does this mean that they will grow again next year?

Jeanne

Old 25-05-2006, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeanne Stockdale writes
I decided our large clump of Solomon's Seal just had to go - don't find the
plant particularly attractive and (based on previous years) it will be
covered in caterpillars in a few weeks time.

Probably not caterpillars. SS is one of the plants that has its very own
sawfly, with caterpillar-like grubs.

--
Kay
Old 25-05-2006, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David D Stretch

Jeanne Stockdale ) wrote
(uk.rec.gardening):

When I started to dig them up I was amazed at the tuber/root system -
it seems to go on for ever. It is very unlikely that I will get every
bit out. Does this mean that they will grow again next year?

I've just dug out two clumps of the stuff, and the heap I threw the
roots onto is now host to at least one new plant. Some have grown from
the periphery of where the dug-out clumps were, and so I think the
answer to your question is yes.

The leaves of mine also always got well and truly shredded by the
specific grubs for them by the time we got to July.

David
--
David D Stretch: Stoke-on-Trent, UK.
Either delete DELETE or REMOVE CAPITALS in the above email addresses to
Old 26-05-2006, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy

"David D Stretch" wrote in message
. ..
Jeanne Stockdale ) wrote
(uk.rec.gardening):

When I started to dig them up I was amazed at the tuber/root system -
it seems to go on for ever. It is very unlikely that I will get every
bit out. Does this mean that they will grow again next year?

I've just dug out two clumps of the stuff, and the heap I threw the
roots onto is now host to at least one new plant. Some have grown from
the periphery of where the dug-out clumps were, and so I think the
answer to your question is yes.

The leaves of mine also always got well and truly shredded by the
specific grubs for them by the time we got to July.

Yes, I've seen a black sawfly with black wings paying particular interest to
my Solomon's Seal over the last two weeks, so I'm keeping an eye on it so I
can get the pesky blighters before they shred them. The grubs should be
appearing soon, I reckon they start at the base and work their way up.

Andy.

Andy

Old 27-05-2006, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Hopefully they will grow again, even though their usefull life ( to us) is
short it is a wonderful plant.
It is also host to a specific caterpillar. Thereby having at two uses in its
short life

aint nature wonderful
regards
Cineman