Old 26-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Registered User

Default Bolted Leeks - Worth keeping ?

Last year I left a few leeks in the ground and let them go to seed. A couple of months ago I lifted and seperated them - there were lots of small leeks around the base of each plant.

So I replanted the small leeks hoping to grow them to full size this year but now I notice nearly all of them are starting to bolt.

The question is this -

If I remove all the flower stalks now and grow the leeks on to a decent size, will they be worth eating later in the year ?

Or should I consign them to the compost bin now and grow something else there ?

Any replies welcome.
Old 26-05-2006, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mr Whippy writes:

| If I remove all the flower stalks now and grow the leeks on to a decent
| size, will they be worth eating later in the year ?

No.

| Or should I consign them to the compost bin now and grow something else
| there ?

Provided that the stalk hasn't started to go woody, eat them, pronto.
Shooting leeks are fine - better than unshooting ones in my view - but
(like kohl rabi) they rapidly go woody.

If they have started to go woody, compost them, or turn them into the
sort of soup that you sieve.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Thanks Nick -

Looks like it's leeks on the menu for the next week or two then...

Maybe one or two of the bigger ones are getting a bit woody, but most of them are still fairly small - should be OK at the moment then...

I'll keep a couple of the sprouting ones in so I can collect the seed for next year though.

Cheers - Dave.
Old 28-05-2006, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Mr Whippy wrote:
Thanks Nick -

Looks like it's leeks on the menu for the next week or two then...

Maybe one or two of the bigger ones are getting a bit woody, but most
of them are still fairly small - should be OK at the moment then...

I'll keep a couple of the sprouting ones in so I can collect the seed
for next year though.

Cheers - Dave.

In general, I'm sure that's a good thing to do. But do remember that
when you save seed you're making a selection. It's possible -- though
of course by no means certain -- that you're saving seed from a strain
which is more prone to bolting than the ones you ate.

--
Mike.