Old 30-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Registered User

Default Splitting a Black Bamboo

I have had a black bamboo in situ now for about 14 months. this time last year it sprouted around 5 new shoots, which now have grown impressively large. Just last week i've noticed another 2 or 3 have sprouted, so it seems very happy where it is.

I would like to split it though and move some of it to another part of the garden.

When is the best time of year to do this?
Will the new shoots be affected if i do it now?
What is the technique? Spade straight down the middle?

Any help or advice given would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Old 30-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarch
I have had a black bamboo in situ now for about 14 months. this time last year it sprouted around 5 new shoots, which now have grown impressively large. Just last week i've noticed another 2 or 3 have sprouted, so it seems very happy where it is.

I would like to split it though and move some of it to another part of the garden.

When is the best time of year to do this?
Will the new shoots be affected if i do it now?
What is the technique? Spade straight down the middle?

Any help or advice given would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Sept/October is the best time, early spring another possibility. Autumn division gives it the longest time to recover and send out some fine roots before the next year's growing season. You will probably discover growth is weaker in the season following division.

Spade straight down the middle is fine if successful. But you might find you need an axe or a saw.