Old 04-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Suffolk
Default Money Trees

Hi everyone

I've got 3 large Money Trees and a couple of questions:-

Can they be put outside this time of year? (I live in Suffolk)
Can I prune them?

Many thanks
SageCat
Old 04-06-2006, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
SageCat writes:

| I've got 3 large Money Trees and a couple of questions:-
|
| Can they be put outside this time of year? (I live in Suffolk)
| Can I prune them?

No, the tax man does that.

Er, what do you mean? Money doesn't grow on trees, and it isn't a
common common name. I.e. what are they?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"SageCat" wrote in message

Hi everyone

I've got 3 large Money Trees and a couple of questions:-

Can they be put outside this time of year? (I live in Suffolk)

If you mean crassula ovata or similar, then yes you can put
them outside in Summer.

http://www.bcss-liverpool.pwp.blueyo...k/crassula.htm

Can I prune them?

The "branches" break off at the knuckles in any case, once
they become top heavy with leaves. This is possibly how they
propogate in nature, given that they form arial roots.

Once a branch section snaps off they regenerate from
the knuckle by themselves.

All such broken off sections are easy to propagate. As
are single leaves.

So you could probably cut off a branch above a
knuckle. The remaining piece above the knuckle
will then wither and drop off.

If you grow some in different conditions - some in North
facing windows and some in South, you may find they adopt
a different growth habit.

IME, those in North facing windows assume a more open candelabrum
shape with leaves at the branch ends only - they shed the
others - but they also flower more readily. After around 5
or so years.

They are South African in origin, but being from the Southern
Hemisphere, they will continue growing through the UK winter.

Water and feed them only when the leaves are spongey to the touch.

michael adams

Many thanks
SageCat

--