Old 04-06-2006, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

Default What's this mysteria?

Along with the sick apricot tree (see my other post) we uncovered in
the garden this plant:

http://www.alpineroads.com/general/p...a/mysteria.htm

It was totally overgrown and only had about 2 small leaves last year.
We cleared it out and protected it over the winter and it's grown
quite well.

It's about 18" tall at the moment, and the lower stems are woody.
Does anyone know what this might be? Could it be a magnolia?

--
Tim C.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

"Tim C." wrote we uncovered in
the garden this plant:

http://www.alpineroads.com/general/p...a/mysteria.htm

It was totally overgrown and only had about 2 small leaves last year.
We cleared it out and protected it over the winter and it's grown
quite well.

It's about 18" tall at the moment, and the lower stems are woody.
Does anyone know what this might be? Could it be a magnolia?

Whatever it is you seem to have something that can grow its own plastic
flower pots :-)

Sue W.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 19:22:07 GMT, "Sue" wrote:

Whatever it is you seem to have something that can grow its own plastic
flower pots :-)

:-)

It's my earwig hotel.
--
Tim C.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DavePoole Torquay

Tim C. wrote:
Along with the sick apricot tree (see my other post) we uncovered in
the garden this plant:

Snip
It's about 18" tall at the moment, and the lower stems are woody.
Does anyone know what this might be? Could it be a magnolia?

It is a Magnolia - one of the soulangeana types, but exactly which one
will remain a mystery until it flowers. It is showing a fair degree of
chlorosis due to the soil being too alkaline. Either that or you need
to adjust the colour balance in your pics. Judging by the relative
thickness of the basal stem, it is a fairly young plant that was not
given much of a chance.

It is too weak to do much with at the moment so the best treatment is
to clear the soil of weeds, debris etc for about 40cms. around its base
and give a good drench of sequestered iron. This will help counteract
the alkalinity in the soil and encourage the leaves to turn a healthier
shade of green. If you can also give a monthly application of Miracid
(Miracle Grow for acid-loving plants) while it is active growth, so
much the better.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

On 4 Jun 2006 22:03:34 -0700, "DavePoole Torquay"
wrote:

Tim C. wrote:
Along with the sick apricot tree (see my other post) we uncovered in
the garden this plant:

Snip
It's about 18" tall at the moment, and the lower stems are woody.
Does anyone know what this might be? Could it be a magnolia?

It is a Magnolia - one of the soulangeana types, but exactly which one
will remain a mystery until it flowers. ..

Excellent! It was left by the previous owners, so we've no idea what
it could be or its history.

It is showing a fair degree of
chlorosis due to the soil being too alkaline. Either that or you need
to adjust the colour balance in your pics.

No I think you're right. That really is the colour of the leaves. We
have a heavy, alkaline soil here, so that makes sense.

...Judging by the relative
thickness of the basal stem, it is a fairly young plant that was not
given much of a chance.

That's very likely. There didn't seem much of a stem when we uncovered
it. It was totally overgrown by right up against the fence.

It is too weak to do much with at the moment so the best treatment is
to clear the soil of weeds, debris etc for about 40cms. around its base
and give a good drench of sequestered iron. This will help counteract
the alkalinity in the soil and encourage the leaves to turn a healthier
shade of green. If you can also give a monthly application of Miracid
(Miracle Grow for acid-loving plants) while it is active growth, so
much the better.

Brilliant. Thanks very much for the tips, I'll give it a try. That was
exactly what I wanted to know.
--
Tim C.