Old 04-06-2006, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Help please: are these weeds?

Cokey wrote:
Hi group,

Im somewhat of a novice when it comes to gardening. My family and I
have a just moved to a house with a fantastic garden and im doing all I
can to keep it maintained but have a couple of areas that have a heavy
growth of some plants that Im not sure are weeds or not.

The two plants/weeds can be seen he

http://www.cokey.co.uk/dump/weeds1.jpg

Willow herb, if I'm not much mistaken. I'd get it out before it flowers
and seeds.

http://www.cokey.co.uk/dump/weeds2.jpg

Thistle. Also to be abolished a.s.a.p.

Should I remove these or are they ok to keep?

Lovely plants in the wild, but they'll take the Mick in the garden.

--
Mike.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Basia Kulesz

Uzytkownik "Mike Lyle" napisal w wiadomosci
ups.com...

http://www.cokey.co.uk/dump/weeds2.jpg

Thistle. Also to be abolished a.s.a.p.

Looks like Echinops to me...nice plant if one gets seedheads off in time

Regards, Barbara.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Basia Kulesz writes

Uzytkownik "Mike Lyle" napisal w wiadomosci
oups.com...

http://www.cokey.co.uk/dump/weeds2.jpg

Thistle. Also to be abolished a.s.a.p.

Looks like Echinops to me...nice plant if one gets seedheads off in time

Both of them could do with waiting to see a flower. Although the first
looks like one of the willowherbs, it could be a number of other things.
Likewise the second could be a UK native thistle or it could be
something more decorative and less inclined to spread. I wouldn't get
rid of either just yet.
--
Kay
Old 04-06-2006, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

K wrote:
Basia Kulesz writes

Uzytkownik "Mike Lyle" napisal w wiadomosci
oups.com...

http://www.cokey.co.uk/dump/weeds2.jpg

Thistle. Also to be abolished a.s.a.p.

Looks like Echinops to me...nice plant if one gets seedheads off in time

Both of them could do with waiting to see a flower. Although the first
looks like one of the willowherbs, it could be a number of other things.
Likewise the second could be a UK native thistle or it could be
something more decorative and less inclined to spread. I wouldn't get
rid of either just yet.

You're right, of course. But our friend had better be on guard when
they do flower, and have 'em out if my hasty reaction was justified.

--
Mike.