Old 04-06-2006, 10:37 PM
ADH ADH is offline
Registered User

Default Russian Vine - can it be killed off?

Russian Vine - can it be killed off?

I have a Russian Vine that got completely out of control. After many hours of work I finally got rid of it and severed it at the root. I thought....

However - it's back. It appears to have re-rooted in numerous places in and around an inaccessible wall behind the garden shed and is threatening to devour everything in its path. It is even sprouting into the shed itself.

So, can anyone advise of any way of getting rid of this menace completely? As I can't get to it properly I presume I need some chemical assistance. I read on another thread that Roundup on the leaves may do it. Can anyone confirm this or offer an alternative?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
ADH

I had a huge one and was working on it for several months before
selling the house, had little luck, I cut all the rooted areas off, and
also sprayed it with systemic herbicide, that kept it in check for a
while, suppose you just have to persevere, but as you say, it roots
almost wherever it touches the ground, would that wanted plants did the
same!

Old 05-06-2006, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" writes

but as you say, it roots almost wherever it touches the ground, would
that wanted plants did the same!

But that would be a contradiction in terms. If Russian Vine didn't root
wherever it touched the ground, it would be less of a thug, and would be
a wanted plant. Similarly if insert name of your favourite flower
had the habits of RV, it would become an invasive weed!
--
Kay
Old 10-06-2006, 02:07 AM
ADH ADH is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by
ADH[/color]

I had a huge one and was working on it for several months before
selling the house, had little luck, I cut all the rooted areas off, and
also sprayed it with systemic herbicide, that kept it in check for a
while, suppose you just have to persevere, but as you say, it roots
almost wherever it touches the ground, would that wanted plants did the
same!
Thank you.

Japanese Knotweed x Russian Vine Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 5 16-10-2008 10:11 AM
Russian vine Renee United Kingdom 36 09-04-2007 02:00 AM
Russian Vine Capt T United Kingdom 4 29-07-2005 01:06 PM
Growth habit of Clematis armandii (was Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum)) Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 10-04-2003 12:20 AM
Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum) iamhere United Kingdom 15 09-04-2003 06:56 PM