Old 10-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Hussein M.

Default Growth habit of Clematis armandii (was Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum))

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:43:08 +0100, (swroot)
wrote:

Mine is also in flower (west facing timber fence in East Anglia).
*Nothing* kills it, not even pruning to the ground in late summer when
the fence was replaced.

Really? To the ground?

The reason I ask is that mine, due to another's gung ho pruning has
somehow got itself to an approx 2.5 m of bare stalk (S bend) before
all the action and it never seems to send shoots from the bare stalk.
I have refrained giving it a "hard one" because somewhere I have been
given the impression that it wouldn't survive it.

Shall I try when it has finished flowering? Dưa think?

I doubt that knowing mine survived such drastic treatment is any
guarantee at all that yours will! Mine sent up new shoots from the
rootstock rather than budded from the bare stalk;

That I have gathered ..... now. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
I went out today to do a bit of tidying and to make sure that things
were growing where I wanted them. I used to have a patch of Lily of
the Valley around the base of the armandii and have since moved it.

In that very area I saw what I assumed was a lily of the valley
shoot emerging from the soil. I gave it a pull, strange no familiar
roots, a further bit of pulling ... it broke off and I realised that
what I had done was remove growth coming from the armandii root ball.

Aaaargh!

FWIW the bare stalk(s)
develop regardless of gung ho pruning -- mine's already got 1m or more
of bare stalk at the base again.

Aww! It's only tatty for a very short time and I am sure if you (or
I) catch one of those new growths from the root ball and persistently
prune it and all shoots which spring from it as a result of this first
nip, as soon as they reach the (say) third leaf node, we can get a bit
of branching lower down the plant. That's what I'll try anyway.

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.