Old 05-06-2006, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill

Default Help newbie identify tree

hi, I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to gardening. The house I moved
into has a small 10ft tall tree which is in need of attention. It was
probably planted about 5yrs ago.

Here is one of the cuttings

http://dx3092.tripod.com/whattree.jpg

I recall the tree did flower for around March. The white petalled
flowers quickly disappeared within a few weeks.

Could anyone help me identify this tree?

bill

Old 05-06-2006, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bill wrote:
hi, I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to gardening. The house I moved
into has a small 10ft tall tree which is in need of attention. It was
probably planted about 5yrs ago.

Here is one of the cuttings

http://dx3092.tripod.com/whattree.jpg

I recall the tree did flower for around March. The white petalled
flowers quickly disappeared within a few weeks.

Could anyone help me identify this tree?

bill

Probably some variety of apple or crab apple, the photo shows what
would appear to be very small apples.

Mike

Old 05-06-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message . com, Bill
writes
hi, I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to gardening. The house I moved
into has a small 10ft tall tree which is in need of attention. It was
probably planted about 5yrs ago.

Here is one of the cuttings

http://dx3092.tripod.com/whattree.jpg

I recall the tree did flower for around March. The white petalled
flowers quickly disappeared within a few weeks.

Could anyone help me identify this tree?

I thought at first it was a pear tree but having just looked at mine,
which is ancient, my pears are longer than that. It is probably an
apple tree.
--
June Hughes
Old 05-06-2006, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill

Thank you Mike and June for your replies.

I used to have a pear tree in the garden of one my previous houses, and
it became huge and unmanagable after 10-15years. In fact, I notice
the current owners have now cut it down when I drove by the house a
while back.

Can crab apple trees grow as aggressively as pear trees?

bill

Old 05-06-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bill writes
Thank you Mike and June for your replies.

I used to have a pear tree in the garden of one my previous houses, and
it became huge and unmanagable after 10-15years. In fact, I notice
the current owners have now cut it down when I drove by the house a
while back.

Can crab apple trees grow as aggressively as pear trees?

Crab apples can grow quite large. The embryo fruit looks a bit large for
a crab apple at this stage of the year.

Eating apples are normally grafted on to a rootstock which reduces
vigour and overall size.

Your tree could be a pear or an apple, but apples are far more
frequently planted, so it's more likely to be that.
--
Kay