Old 11-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Trevor Appleton

Default GW Tonight

Magnolia stellata was shown. This looked exactly like a magnolia that grows
between Settle and Giggleswick in N Yorkshire where I used to live. You
could smell it from 100 yds away. The scent wasn't mentioned tonight. What
do folk think the Settle Magnolia will be?

---

Old 13-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 22:24:10 +0100, "Andrew Thomson"
wrote:

I've got two Magnolia Stellata and they don't smell at all!

According to my books, M. Stellata _is_ fragrant. But I don't have
one, so I've no direct experience.

--
Chris

Old 15-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 23:36:17 +0100, "Andy"
wrote:

I have one & it smells great to me but my wife can't smell it at all, it's
genetic I think.

Some people can't smell freesias, apparently.

--
Chris

Old 17-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Andrew Thomson

wrote:

I've got two Magnolia Stellata and they don't smell at all!

According to my books, M. Stellata _is_ fragrant. But I don't have
one, so I've no direct experience.

--
Chris

I can't smell bananas but I'm told they do have an aroma!

Old 17-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Ophelia

"Andrew Thomson" wrote in message

I can't smell bananas but I'm told they do have an aroma!

Are there many things you can't smell of just those?

Old 17-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Andrew Thomson" contains these words:

wrote:

I've got two Magnolia Stellata and they don't smell at all!

According to my books, M. Stellata _is_ fragrant. But I don't have
one, so I've no direct experience.

I saw a beauty in a nursery today, covered in flowers, so in the name
of urg I had a sniff, and yes, they were deliciously fragrant.
Unfortunately, the plant was reserved for someone :-(

Janet

Old 18-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I saw a beauty in a nursery today, covered in flowers, so in the name
of urg I had a sniff, and yes, they were deliciously fragrant.
Unfortunately, the plant was reserved for someone :-(

Have you see the lovely pink stellata, Leonard Messel? I prefer it to the
white one.

They had a nice one of those too :-). Talking of scent variation, I'm
wondering if the white m.stellata also varies considerably in flower
quality..some seem to have larger flowers with more petals, than others.

Janet

Old 19-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Andrew Thomson

I can't smell bananas but I'm told they do have an aroma!

Are there many things you can't smell of just those?

Not many that I know of... but how would I know that I was missing something
if I couldn't smell them??? :-)