Old 06-06-2006, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suitable climbers/shrubs wanted.

Hope you can help with this problem as I'm new to gardening and need as
much help as possible!

I have a concrete gap which i cannot break up, of about 15 inches
between my fence and my decking. My idea is to fill the gap with 15
inch wide containers (depth approx 12 inches) and use the containers to
grow climbers, shrubs, bushes etc that will mask the fence.
Can anyone recommend any suitable plants bearing in mind the depth and
width of the pots or would any plants soon outgrow the containers? The
fence is west facing and gets lots of afternoon sun.
I also have a very shady wall (south facing) with similiar problems.
Many thanks.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
" writes:

| I have a concrete gap which i cannot break up, of about 15 inches
| between my fence and my decking. My idea is to fill the gap with 15
| inch wide containers (depth approx 12 inches) and use the containers to
| grow climbers, shrubs, bushes etc that will mask the fence.
| Can anyone recommend any suitable plants bearing in mind the depth and
| width of the pots or would any plants soon outgrow the containers? The
| fence is west facing and gets lots of afternoon sun.

NO problem - provided that you don't live in Perth or similar! Where
do you live? Also, how high is the fence, and can you staple wire to
it, to provide support?

Even in Cambridge (cold for the south), there are lots of good shrubs
that will thrive in 12" pots, and there are even more in warmer places.
Look for recommended patio plants, that can take moderate frost (if
you get it). Bay (laurus nobilis) is good, and useful. Choisya is
also good, and I grow pomegranate and Feijoa. Be adventurous!

As far as climbers are concerned, go for annuals, as most hardy
perennial climbers like a good root run (except for ivy) - you could
even plant runner beans!

| I also have a very shady wall (south facing) with similiar problems.
| Many thanks.

If you mean VERY shady, ivy is pretty well the only thing that will
do well. But that would certainly do the job.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.