Old 26-03-2006, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Advice on Suitable climbers

Have just spent the day very very severely cutting back some climbing roses
which had got completely out of hand. Unfortunately we are now left with a
blank wall to look at.

Although the roses will, hopefully, recover in time I would like to put some
other climbers in and would welcome some suggestions. . Ideally, would like
something evergreen and fast growing. We are in South Cheshire and the wall
faces West

Jeanne

Old 26-03-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow

In message , Jeanne Stockdale
writes
Have just spent the day very very severely cutting back some climbing roses
which had got completely out of hand. Unfortunately we are now left with a
blank wall to look at.

Although the roses will, hopefully, recover in time I would like to put some
other climbers in and would welcome some suggestions. . Ideally, would like
something evergreen and fast growing. We are in South Cheshire and the wall
faces West

Ivy is evergreen and fast growing.
If I was you I'd plant something else.

--
Sue ]
Old 26-03-2006, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

MadCow wrote:
In message , Jeanne Stockdale
writes
Have just spent the day very very severely cutting back some
climbing roses which had got completely out of hand. Unfortunately
we are now left with a blank wall to look at.

Although the roses will, hopefully, recover in time I would like to
put some other climbers in and would welcome some suggestions. .
Ideally, would like something evergreen and fast growing. We are in
South Cheshire and the wall faces West

Ivy is evergreen and fast growing.
If I was you I'd plant something else.

I tremble to think of anything which might cover the fence faster than
the roses you've just encouraged by pruning them.

--
Mike.

Old 26-03-2006, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
Have just spent the day very very severely cutting back some climbing roses
which had got completely out of hand. Unfortunately we are now left with a
blank wall to look at.

Although the roses will, hopefully, recover in time I would like to put some
other climbers in and would welcome some suggestions. . Ideally, would like
something evergreen and fast growing. We are in South Cheshire and the wall
faces West

Have a look at Clematis rehederiana. You can hack it back to ground
level each year and here (S. Devon) it will reach the roof every year,
again. It's evergreen with us but I can't answer for your climate.
Small, pale yellow, bell shaped flowers in late summer/autumn and a
lovely cowslip scent. For a rose that you need do nothing to, other
than keep it from obscuring your windows, try Rosa banksia lutea. It
flowers on old wood so is much happier if you *don't* hack at it. If
you do - no flowers!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-03-2006, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
Have just spent the day very very severely cutting back some climbing

roses
which had got completely out of hand. Unfortunately we are now left with a
blank wall to look at.

Although the roses will, hopefully, recover in time I would like to put

some
other climbers in and would welcome some suggestions. . Ideally, would

like
something evergreen and fast growing. We are in South Cheshire and the

wall
faces West

Jeanne

The roses are unlikely to be happy sharing with any vigorous evergreens, be
much better to chose either something like clematis which is cut back or
something like Eccremocarpus which may need replacing each year (although
its an evergreen perennial here normally it died back this winter)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-03-2006, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
" Jeanne Stockdale" writes:
| Have just spent the day very very severely cutting back some climbing roses
| which had got completely out of hand. Unfortunately we are now left with a
| blank wall to look at.
|
| Although the roses will, hopefully, recover in time I would like to put some
| other climbers in and would welcome some suggestions. . Ideally, would like
| something evergreen and fast growing. We are in South Cheshire and the wall
| faces West

Separate those. Annuals for quick cover. Something else for evergreen.
But be VERY careful about mixing anything with thorned roses, as it can
make an unprunable mess.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.