Old 07-06-2006, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Waste in a wormery

Hi,

Our freeholder for our property is dead against a compost heap in our
shared garden as she thinks it _will_ attract rats, even though we know
that if it is properly managed we will be able to prevent them.

Anyway, this has lead us to wanting a sealed unit type system and are
seriously considering a wormery. Does anybody know if you can put
garden waste into a wormery, or whether they are restricted to kitchen
matter. We don't have a lawn (yet) but do have hedge trimmings, weeds,
potplants and will have some vegetables.

Your advice is really appreciated.
Best regards,
Kehan

Old 07-06-2006, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

Our freeholder for our property is dead against a compost heap in our
shared garden as she thinks it _will_ attract rats, even though we know
that if it is properly managed we will be able to prevent them.

Anyway, this has lead us to wanting a sealed unit type system and are
seriously considering a wormery. Does anybody know if you can put
garden waste into a wormery, or whether they are restricted to kitchen
matter. We don't have a lawn (yet) but do have hedge trimmings, weeds,
potplants and will have some vegetables.

Your advice is really appreciated.
Best regards,
Kehan

In reality a compost heap usually ends up being a wormery towards the end of
its cycle.
You would need a huge wormery to take all garden and kitchen waste.
Why not just use a sealed bin, with a few small holes in the base, as a
compost bin.
I have yet to see a domestic wormery that produces anything more than a few
litres of useable stuff per month.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
nambucca

In reality a compost heap usually ends up being a wormery towards the end

of
its cycle.
You would need a huge wormery to take all garden and kitchen waste.
Why not just use a sealed bin, with a few small holes in the base, as a
compost bin.
I have yet to see a domestic wormery that produces anything more than a

few
litres of useable stuff per month.

Make a solid sided compost bin from pallets pulled apart and using the 4 by
2 timbers for corner supoorts plus only half board the front .......add 2
uprights so that you have a gap to slot remaing half timbers in

Line the bin with heavy duty polythene stapled to timbers

Sit the bin on paving slabs 4 of 18 inch square reclaimed for the tip will
suffice

and make a solid lid also lined with heavy duty plastic

liberally paint the entire bin with "new creosote "

The secret of good compost is to get a good mix of ingredients which
includes shredded paper / cardboard horse poo if you can get it plus a few
buckets of night water as an activator

Rats do not bother to get in to a good bin and the worms will find their way
in through the gaps in paving slabs

alternatively a concrete coal bunker makes a good compost bin although the
theory you can just shovel good compost out of the hatch in the base is a
joke

Compost needs to be well mixed and turned several times in a year to make
fine crumbly peat like compost

Old 08-06-2006, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

nambucca writes
Compost needs to be well mixed and turned several times in a year to
make fine crumbly peat like compost

But you can still get good usable compost without turning, so don't let
the prospect of turning put you off
--
Kay

Composter/Wormery anthony james United Kingdom 0 26-01-2004 11:19 PM
Wormery from tyres? picti United Kingdom 1 10-05-2003 04:20 PM
how to make a wormery teapot United Kingdom 0 15-01-2003 08:30 PM
Wormery Pauline Jones United Kingdom 6 13-11-2002 11:09 PM
Any Wormery recs? Jaffacake United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 07:59 PM