Old 08-06-2006, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Barrett

Default foamy shrubs?

I noticed this week that on some of my shrubs there are bits of what
looks like foam or suds at the base of some of the leaves where they
connect to the stem, just a few mm. I'm guessing eggs of some sort?
Should I be worried?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rob Barrett writes
I noticed this week that on some of my shrubs there are bits of what
looks like foam or suds at the base of some of the leaves where they
connect to the stem, just a few mm. I'm guessing eggs of some sort?
Should I be worried?

Yes, the foam protects the developing larva. Known as 'cuckoo spit'.
Looks unsightly, but I've not known it do measurable harm.
--
Kay
Old 09-06-2006, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Rob Barrett writes
I noticed this week that on some of my shrubs there are bits of what
looks like foam or suds at the base of some of the leaves where they
connect to the stem, just a few mm. I'm guessing eggs of some sort?
Should I be worried?

Yes, the foam protects the developing larva. Known as 'cuckoo spit'.
Looks unsightly, but I've not known it do measurable harm.
--
Kay

They are the larvae of the frog hopper, don't know its latin name, they
do suck some sap, but not enough to harm the plant.

Mike