Old 12-06-2006, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Epsom Welsh Wizard

Default Chinese Virginia Creeper - Parthenocissus Henryana - Foliage Problem

I have a formerly beautiful Chinese Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus
Henryana) which has been growing on the front of my house for 10 years.
Last summer in late July / August the leaves started falling of and
this year there is no foliage on the main plant but there are some
signs of new growth at the base.

What should I do now to revive the plant?

Thanks

Old 13-06-2006, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Epsom Welsh Wizard" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a formerly beautiful Chinese Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus
Henryana) which has been growing on the front of my house for 10 years.
Last summer in late July / August the leaves started falling of and
this year there is no foliage on the main plant but there are some
signs of new growth at the base.

What should I do now to revive the plant?

Thanks

Is it by any chance in a restricted growing space or a pot? in which case
suspect root damage from vine weevil, Is it near any drains? in which case
suspect something that has been put down the drains that is not to its
liking (bound to have got some roots into them!) Or it may just have become
very dry for it. There is no dread lurgy or pest that attacks Parthenocissus
and although henryana is a bit more tender yours went in summer so not
likely to be that.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 20-06-2006, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Epsom Welsh Wizard

Thanks Charlie,

It is located next to a guttering pipe so your drain theory could be
spot on.

I have now bitten the bullet and cur the entire thing back to the
ground leaving some healthy looking new shoots to grow again. I think
I might plant a partner for it as insurance as we used to have 2 and
the other dies some years ago!

Vaughan