Old 12-06-2006, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Colin Peters

Default Newbie: Sweet cicely gone sour

Well, the smell is as sweet as ever, but the leaves have gone yellow
overnight. I thought that this plant was supposed to provide leaves for
most of the year.

It's a real pity, as it was my favourite plant. I watched it grow from a
seedling to a metre tall fountain of licorice with absolutely no
maintenance required.

The ground isn't too dry, or wet. It recieves dappled shade a few hours
a day. A few stalks have aphids plus ants, but share and share alike, I
say.

Is this yellowing normal, or can I take corrective action? Or at least
learn the cause of the current crisis and so take steps in the future?

Thanks,

Col
Old 13-06-2006, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Colin Peters" wrote in message
Well, the smell is as sweet as ever, but the leaves have gone yellow
overnight. I thought that this plant was supposed to provide leaves for
most of the year.

It's a real pity, as it was my favourite plant. I watched it grow from a
seedling to a metre tall fountain of licorice with absolutely no
maintenance required.

The ground isn't too dry, or wet. It recieves dappled shade a few hours
a day. A few stalks have aphids plus ants, but share and share alike, I
say.

Is this yellowing normal, or can I take corrective action? Or at least
learn the cause of the current crisis and so take steps in the future?

Thanks,

Col

Once its set seed the lower leaves lose their sparkle somewhat, the seeds
eventually become black. and by the end of summer the whole looks rather
tatty, if it offends cut it back and it will come up with a fresh set.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-06-2006, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Colin Peters

Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

Thanks for getting back. Reassuring to know that it should survive.