Old 17-06-2006, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jason

Default Advice on taking on an allotment required

Hello,

I'm on a waiting list for an allotment plot but have no experience of
growing fruit / veg. Can anyone recommend a couple of books that may give
me a few pointers on how to get started. I'm hoping to be able to grow
things such as potatoes, tomatoes, brocolli, green beans, onions, salad
leaves, herbs, courgettes, etc.

Thanks, Jason.
Old 17-06-2006, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Jason" wrote in message
9.130...
Hello,

I'm on a waiting list for an allotment plot but have no experience of
growing fruit / veg. Can anyone recommend a couple of books that may give
me a few pointers on how to get started. I'm hoping to be able to grow
things such as potatoes, tomatoes, brocolli, green beans, onions, salad
leaves, herbs, courgettes, etc.

Thanks, Jason.

The vegetable and herb expert By D.G.Hessayon.
Excellent book, available at garden centres etc, and inexpensive. And don't
forget your local library will have all manner of books to help.

Good luck with getting an allotment, you won't regret it.

Steve

Old 17-06-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jane

"Jason" wrote
I'm on a waiting list for an allotment plot but have no experience of
growing fruit / veg. Can anyone recommend a couple of books that may give
me a few pointers on how to get started.

I've just taken on an allotment after being on a waiting list for over 3
years. My first stop was to my local library, where I borrowed loads of
books on allotments and veggie growing. I also trolled charity shops and
got some great bargains. B&Q sell a series of gardening books, one of which
is on veggie growing.

Old 17-06-2006, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Jason" wrote

I'm on a waiting list for an allotment plot but have no experience of
growing fruit / veg. Can anyone recommend a couple of books that may give
me a few pointers on how to get started. I'm hoping to be able to grow
things such as potatoes, tomatoes, brocolli, green beans, onions, salad
leaves, herbs, courgettes, etc.

Too late to grow any of those this season but the sooner you get your plot
the sooner you can get it started, ie getting rid of the rubbish (we had
lots of plastic bag bits and bottles and glass), spraying to rid it of
perennial weeds, digging it thoroughly as deep as possible to see whats
there ( we found a 3ft wide brick path 6 inches under the soil the full
length of ours and more glass and some big stones etc) and what the soils
like, checking pH and changing it where necessary, staking out the rotation
beds (4 year?), incorporating manure etc where appropriate.
That should keep you busy until next season which starts in Sept/Oct with
the Garlic planting. :-)
A book we like a lot is "The Complete Manual of Organic Gardening" edited by
Basil Caplan. We are not organic gardeners (I will use chemicals rather than
lose a crop) but it's an excellent book which is probably out of print now,
no doubt Amazon can find you one.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-06-2006, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

Some of our allotments you can take on for the first year free of
charge, but only if you ask.

Always ask for a better plot than that given. Especially if there is
only 1 tap 100m away.

If you get one this time of the year, and it has not been maintained.
Get them to spray it with weedkiller for free.

Old 18-06-2006, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Jason" wrote in message
9.130...
Hello,

I'm on a waiting list for an allotment plot but have no experience of
growing fruit / veg. Can anyone recommend a couple of books that may give
me a few pointers on how to get started. I'm hoping to be able to grow
things such as potatoes, tomatoes, brocolli, green beans, onions, salad
leaves, herbs, courgettes, etc.

Talk to the other allotment holders, they will give you advice on what will
grow well in that area.

Alan

Thanks, Jason.