Old 18-06-2006, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
GKN

Default Citrus Leaf Yellowing

Hi there.
Could anyone please give me some advice on the yellowing between veins on
the leaves of my Lemon tree.

The tree is about two years old and has flowered well again this year with
medium sized Lemons which are still green.
It is fed with a citrus liquid fertilizer on a fortnightly basis but still
exhibits this yellowing in the leaves, mostly between the veins. Any ideas
anybody what this apparent deficiency could be?
Many thanks. Len.

Old 22-06-2006, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tony

I think that fruit drop is a natural event if it is in moderation, and
from your description I think that is the case.

The leaf yellowing is a symptom, This is as you have said a mineral
deficiency which I would treat as another symptom. The deficiency is K
and N, sounds like the P is okay.

N deficiency occurs as it is easily washed out of the soil and
therefore at beginning of year is does need a significant top up. The
RHS rule of thumb is to assume all Nitrogen is washed out over the
winter. But then if you over water the N will also get washed out.

The lack of P is a symptom of incorrect watering because it is taken in
through the roots, either no water so P cannot get into a solution and
so cannot get into roots or too much watering as in waterlogged and the
fine root hairs are damaged.

In view of the fact that watering is the likely problem change your
watering habit. Completely dunk the pot ( I assume a 2 year old is not
that large and not so heavy) or submerge the pot until bubbles stop
rising. First time this may take a while - 5/10 mins. Now there will be
no dry spots within the pot, the soil will be 100% watered. Let it free
drain and not stand in water. Feed it, and consider a new dressing on
top.

If you submerge water in this way you are far less likely to have
problems and whilst I would say you do this once a week that entirely
depends on the location of your pot.

Beaware if you have a deficiency then you may also have a trace element
deficiency, check that your feed has the necessary trace elements or
use a liquid seaweed feed.

Good Luck
Tony Fox
Oxfordshire