Old 19-06-2006, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default Cauliflower problem

I sorely need help with caulies. I have never had a very good crop, this
year I planted some in the same bed as Summer Cabbage, the cabbages are
thriving, most of the caulies have died, those that are living can only
be described as runts. Can one of the many experts here help please?
What may I be doing wrong, or at least not right? I have some healthy
cauly plants ready to plant out, I would like to think those may do
well, with your help maybe they can.
Old 19-06-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Broadback" wrote
I sorely need help with caulies. I have never had a very good crop, this
year I planted some in the same bed as Summer Cabbage, the cabbages are
thriving, most of the caulies have died, those that are living can only be
described as runts. Can one of the many experts here help please? What may
I be doing wrong, or at least not right? I have some healthy cauly plants
ready to plant out, I would like to think those may do well, with your help
maybe they can.

If your Summer Cabbages are doing well and the Caulies next to them aren't,
that's rather strange.
Have you treated them differently? Cauliflowers always need a bit more TLC
than other Brassicas, they cannot stand being checked in growth, i.e. lack
of water, and will respond with a rubbish curd or none at all, but to
actually be dying before that stage !!?
Roughly where are you? What is your soil type? and soil pH?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-06-2006, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote
[...]

I live in North Staffordshire, low lying land. The soil is imported,
treated in the Winter with lime. Both cabbages and Caulies were treated
the same, rotted horse muck put on the beds last year, growmore and
chicken pellets when I planted. I put covers over the soil around the
stalks to prevent root fly. Guess I will have to keep trying. I will
admit that I did not water them once they were established, nor were the
well growing Summer cabbage.
Old 20-06-2006, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Broadback" wrote after
Bob Hobden replied:

[...]

I have found that when young the Cauliflowers do require more water to get
them growing well than the normally very hardy summer cabbages so that may
be your problem. Perhaps try a calabrese instead?
Have you tried the winter Cauliflowers? "Walcheren Winter Armardo April" or
similar will give you an excellent crop in spring without watering after the
young plants are established and no insect damage.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-06-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote after
Bob Hobden replied:
[...]