Old 22-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Barbara Beardsley

Default cauliflower question

Hi
This is my first time growing cauliflower- when I was a kid, I seem to
remember my mother tying up the leaves around the head to keep it "white", I
read this is not necessary with some of the new varieties. The kind I bought
is Brassica oleracea, it says the wrapper leaves provide coverage but do not
envelope the entire head, allowing for good air circulation. So, do I tie
the leaves or not?
Thanks

Barbara NY zone 7

Old 22-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 22 May 2003 10:19:36 -0400, "Barbara Beardsley"
wrote:

Hi
This is my first time growing cauliflower- when I was a kid, I seem to
remember my mother tying up the leaves around the head to keep it "white", I
read this is not necessary with some of the new varieties. The kind I bought
is Brassica oleracea, it says the wrapper leaves provide coverage but do not
envelope the entire head, allowing for good air circulation. So, do I tie
the leaves or not?
Thanks

*All* cauliflowers are brassica oleracea (as are cabbage,
kale, broccoli, kohlrabi, brussels sprouts, and maybe
others), so that doesn't really tell you anything.

Those are the generic (brassica) and species (oleracea)
names.

If you know the variety name, maybe you could find
information about it via Google.

Pat
Old 22-05-2003, 04:20 PM
FarmerDill

Hi
This is my first time growing cauliflower- when I was a kid, I seem to
remember my mother tying up the leaves around the head to keep it "white", I
read this is not necessary with some of the new varieties. The kind I bought
is Brassica oleracea, it says the wrapper leaves provide coverage but do not
envelope the entire head, allowing for good air circulation. So, do I tie
the leaves or not?
Thanks

Barbara NY zone 7

Friends in upstate New York tell me that tying heads of cauliflower is only for
cosmetic purposes i.e. to get that pure white head, Otherwise it discolors
slightly. Here in the sunny south, it discolors a lot ie turns greenish purple
and develops a strong flavor so we have to tie all varieties.
Old 22-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Setzler

I don't tie the leaves up, but break, or bend the closest leaves over the head
to keep off some sun. It works fine for me.

susan

Old 29-05-2003, 05:21 AM
Dwayne

I bought a self blanching variety last year, and guess what. It didn't
work. I had to tie the leaves myself (I used rubber bands - more than once
because they broke after a few days of sun). They came out pretty well, but
I am still no expert. Have fun. Dwayne

Old 29-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Brian

Dwayne wrote:

I bought a self blanching variety last year, and guess what. It didn't
work. I had to tie the leaves myself (I used rubber bands - more than once
because they broke after a few days of sun).

I use clothes pins. If you use a bunch they hold fairly well.

Old 30-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Trevor Woods

On Thu, 29 May 2003 12:49:22 GMT, Brian wrote:

Dwayne wrote:

I bought a self blanching variety last year, and guess what. It didn't
work. I had to tie the leaves myself (I used rubber bands - more than once
because they broke after a few days of sun).

I use clothes pins. If you use a bunch they hold fairly well.

I just bend some of the leaves inwards, breaking them at the spine.
Quick and easy and doesn't seem to effect the size of the head.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Dwayne

Thanks to both of you (Brion & Trevor). This years crop is getting to be
just the size that needs to be covered. I will do that tomorrow.

Dwayne