Old 22-06-2006, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Default Pond snails

Aquatic snails will not disperse into the garden, and they do an excellent
job of disposing of rotting plant debris, remember nature has its own
controls, the snails can only grow with food, plenty of food, plenty of
snails, less food less snails.
regards
Cineman
I have a weed in my path, its a lovely lilac coloured poppy, its only a weed
because its in the wrong place, must be sown by a bird, maybe out of the
bird feeder ?

wrote in message
Hello,

My last pond question! Our pond is full of snails. I think that snails
can reproduce on their own, which is why there are so many. Should I
live and let live or do I need to have a snail cull? Presumably they
will not leave the water and are not a threat to the rest of the
garden?

Thanks.

Old 23-06-2006, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow

In message , cineman
writes

I have a weed in my path, its a lovely lilac coloured poppy, its only a weed
because its in the wrong place, must be sown by a bird, maybe out of the
bird feeder ?

If the leaves are blue-green it's an opium poppy. They seed very freely
and tits attack the seed pods. Why not tolerate it long enough to ripen
the seeds, then sow them in a flower bed and weed the path in future?

My last pond question! Our pond is full of snails. I think that snails
can reproduce on their own, which is why there are so many. Should I
live and let live or do I need to have a snail cull? Presumably they
will not leave the water and are not a threat to the rest of the
garden?

My pond-enthusiast friend says there's one species of pond snail that
will leave the water and have a chew at your irises, but he says they
don't do enough damage to matter. To him anyway - I have reservations
about this.
The other species stay in the water and eat algae. And have sex [0],
and millions of babies which grow amazingly fast - and get eaten by
something, or by now there wouldn't be room in my pond for the water.

[0] Any two snails can play (they're hermaphroditic) they have sex both
ways at once and both of them will then go and extrude their spawn onto
any surface that hasn't already got snails on it.

--
Sue ]