Old 22-06-2006, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

Default Pond snails

wrote in message
: Hello,
:
: My last pond question! Our pond is full of snails. I think that snails
: can reproduce on their own, which is why there are so many. Should I
: live and let live or do I need to have a snail cull? Presumably they
: will not leave the water and are not a threat to the rest of the
: garden?
:
: Thanks.

Where can you buy snails. I have looked around but haven't found any
locally. Must admit I haven't been that determined

Old 22-06-2006, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:00:52 +0100, Robert wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message
Hello,

My last pond question! Our pond is full of snails. I think that snails
can reproduce on their own, which is why there are so many. Should I
live and let live or do I need to have a snail cull? Presumably they
will not leave the water and are not a threat to the rest of the
garden?

Thanks.

Where can you buy snails. I have looked around but haven't found any
locally. Must admit I haven't been that determined

We started our pond off with some from Paul Bromfield Aquatics:
http://www.bromfieldaquatics.co.uk/store/erol.html

Their site doesn't seem as user-friendly as it used to be, but just put
snails in their search box. We have lots now!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Whitton Open Gardens weekend 1st & 2nd July; enjoy the conservation

Old 22-06-2006, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Robert" wrote
Where can you buy snails. I have looked around but haven't found any
locally. Must admit I haven't been that determined

Buy snails!?
Just like garden snails they eat green matter ie, your best juiciest plants.
Wildlife pond, yes possibly, anything else, no.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-06-2006, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

:
: We started our pond off with some from Paul Bromfield Aquatics:
: http://www.bromfieldaquatics.co.uk/store/erol.html
:
: Their site doesn't seem as user-friendly as it used to be, but just put
: snails in their search box. We have lots now!
: Sally in Shropshire, UK

Thanks, ordered a batch of both types

Old 22-06-2006, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Robert" wrote in message

Where can you buy snails. I have looked around but haven't found any
locally. Must admit I haven't been that determined

I've introduced proper snails into our pond over the years but they've not
survived, we don't seem to have any snails at all.

Mary

Old 22-06-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Mary Fisher" wrote ...
I've introduced proper snails into our pond over the years but they've not
survived, we don't seem to have any snails at all.

Some fish eat pond snails provided they are not too big for them.
Crunch, crunch, spit out the bits of shell. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden