Old 22-06-2006, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Default Morning Glory - leaf problem?

Hi everyone,

My much treasured Morning Glory's which are growing up some trellis
outside the back door appear to suddenly have a leaf problem.

It looks as though they have wind burn?? I only say this as we have
had this really cold wind the last few days. Is there such a thing?

The edges of some of the leaves have curled and have turned a very dark
green, looks as if the edges have dried out. The middle of the leaf
looks healthy and only a few leaves are affected. Before this the
plants were growing brilliantly and were very healthy looking and they
still are apart from the few leaves that are affected.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance - Gail :-)

Old 22-06-2006, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
"tom&barbara" writes:
| Hi everyone,
|
| My much treasured Morning Glory's which are growing up some trellis
| outside the back door appear to suddenly have a leaf problem.
|
| It looks as though they have wind burn?? I only say this as we have
| had this really cold wind the last few days. Is there such a thing?

Yup. It can be caused by really hot, dry winds, too.

| The edges of some of the leaves have curled and have turned a very dark
| green, looks as if the edges have dried out. The middle of the leaf
| looks healthy and only a few leaves are affected. Before this the
| plants were growing brilliantly and were very healthy looking and they
| still are apart from the few leaves that are affected.

Don't panic. In fact, pour yourself something and relax. Morning
glory are not seriously affected by losing the odd leaf once they
have started to go.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-06-2006, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"tom&barbara" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

My much treasured Morning Glory's which are growing up some trellis
outside the back door appear to suddenly have a leaf problem.

It looks as though they have wind burn?? I only say this as we have
had this really cold wind the last few days. Is there such a thing?

The edges of some of the leaves have curled and have turned a very dark
green, looks as if the edges have dried out. The middle of the leaf
looks healthy and only a few leaves are affected. Before this the
plants were growing brilliantly and were very healthy looking and they
still are apart from the few leaves that are affected.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance - Gail :-)

It does sound like wind burn and Morning Glory is very susceptible.
Which one are you growing?

Old 22-06-2006, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I am relieved as it would have been such a shame to lose them when they
are doing so well.

I am growing Grandpa Ottis and Heavenly Blue together but in three's.
I have grown HB for the last two years and have been very successful as
they have been beautiful, but this year I decided to try two different
colours together. Grandpa Ottis are flowering already, however I
notice the flowers are quite a bit smaller than the HB but still
gorgeous. I also put Nemesia at the base of them. I think they will
be a picture when fully grown and in flower.

Gail :-)

Old 22-06-2006, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

The old favourite Heavenly Blue really is wonderful. Unfortunately it is the
most delicate of the lot and a few blasts of wind will play havoc with those
paper thin leaves. I find the other colours such as purple to be much
stronger plants but as you comment they do have smaller flowers.
FWIW mine were shredded by wind yesterday and are now residing in the
compost bin.

Old 23-06-2006, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

Ah so perhaps it's the leaves of the HB plants which are damaged, it's
hard to tell as the plants have intertwined with each other. I hope it
will be ok :-(

I find the other colours such as purple to be much
stronger plants but as you comment they do have smaller flowers.

FWIW mine were shredded by wind yesterday and are now residing in the
compost bin.

Sorry to hear yours are now in the compost bin, that's very
disheartening. So typical of our climate though - you can never rely
on anything in the summer.

Gail

Old 23-06-2006, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lol

"tom&barbara" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

My much treasured Morning Glory's which are growing up some trellis
outside the back door appear to suddenly have a leaf problem.

It looks as though they have wind burn?? I only say this as we have
had this really cold wind the last few days. Is there such a thing?

The edges of some of the leaves have curled and have turned a very dark
green, looks as if the edges have dried out. The middle of the leaf
looks healthy and only a few leaves are affected. Before this the
plants were growing brilliantly and were very healthy looking and they
still are apart from the few leaves that are affected.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance - Gail :-)

We have a different problem with MG - It self seeds over a wide area, and
there is bindweed around.
It is against a trellis where the other side is rented, garden not well
maintained.
Distinguishing the MG from the bindweed is not easy - I am sure that both MG
and bindweed have 3 different leaf shapes according to age of plant??
(I think I may have to go and photograph it ...)

Lol