Old 24-06-2006, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
80/20

Default Outdoor Cyclamen

This spring they had a tremendous amount of flowers and they appear to
have set seed. There are many 'capsules' on the end of springy stems.

What do you do with these, do you sow the whole capsule? Do you slit it
open? Do they have to develope further?

Any advice greatfully received.

Steve

Old 24-06-2006, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"80/20" wrote in message
oups.com...
This spring they had a tremendous amount of flowers and they appear to
have set seed. There are many 'capsules' on the end of springy stems.

What do you do with these, do you sow the whole capsule? Do you slit it
open? Do they have to develope further?
Any advice greatfully received.
Steve

Seed Collecting:
Allow seedheads to dry on plants; remove and collect seeds
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/p...er/019691.html

Jenny HTH

Old 24-06-2006, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message .com
from "80/20" contains these words:

This spring they had a tremendous amount of flowers and they appear to
have set seed. There are many 'capsules' on the end of springy stems.

What do you do with these, do you sow the whole capsule? Do you slit it
open? Do they have to develope further?

Any advice greatfully received.

Steve

The seeds are in a kind of sugary coating which ants like; they will
scatter them if you want to just leave the capsules to split open and
disperse naturally.

If you want to control things more you need to wait until the capsule
turns a bit drier and starts to peel back revealing the seeeds inside.
As soon as this starts, harvest the seeds. You have to watch carefully
because if you leave them a day or two they'll just disappear.

You can sow the seeds about 1cm apart on the surface of very well
drained compost - lots of grit and/or sand in it - and cover with a
generous layer of grit. When they germinate leave them for a year or two
before separating and either pot on or plant out.

If that's too complicated you could just try sowing individual seeds
where you'd like them to take and just cover them with a bit of grit or
fine soil.

Janet G
Old 24-06-2006, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"80/20" writes:
| This spring they had a tremendous amount of flowers and they appear to
| have set seed. There are many 'capsules' on the end of springy stems.
|
| What do you do with these, do you sow the whole capsule? Do you slit it
| open? Do they have to develope further?

You have to wait until they dry out. If you forget about them, they
will self-seed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-06-2006, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
80/20

Thanks for all your answers - I'll wait a little longer and see if I
can catch them.
Bet happens when I'm away.

Steve

Outdoor Cyclamen aberdeen Gardening 5 28-11-2012 06:32 PM
Cyclamen with a monkey on my patio. - Cyclamen 2toneMonkeyDSC01300.JPG (1/1) Wendy7 Garden Photos 2 01-03-2011 12:07 AM
Cyclamen with a monkey on my patio. - Cyclamen 2toneMonkeyDSC01300.JPG (0/1) Wendy7 Garden Photos 1 28-02-2011 11:55 PM
Outdoor autumn/spring flowering cyclamen 80/20 United Kingdom 6 29-10-2006 12:03 AM
cyclamen Marley1372 Gardening 2 22-02-2003 09:15 AM