Old 24-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Registered User

Default Outdoor Cyclamen

Would be grateful for some advice please.

We bought some pots of Cyclamen from B&Q in August (garden variety) they have bloomed non stop and there are still some buds to come out. I have no idea whether they should be left outdoors and am concerned about the uk winter.

We do not have a greenhouse, so I wondered if they would be better wintering in our conservatory. it is not heated but at least they would be out of the frost and snow.

Thank you
Old 24-11-2012, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 24/11/2012 13:12, aberdeen wrote:
Would be grateful for some advice please.

We bought some pots of Cyclamen from B&Q in August (garden variety) they
have bloomed non stop and there are still some buds to come out. I have
no idea whether they should be left outdoors and am concerned about the
uk winter.

We do not have a greenhouse, so I wondered if they would be better
wintering in our conservatory. it is not heated but at least they would
be out of the frost and snow.

Thank you

They are fairly hardy, but won't stand severe frosts - if the corm
freezes it will go mushy when it thaws. Overwintering in an unheated
conservatory would probably be fine as they don't like too much warmth,
either. As long as the conservatory is more or less frost free they
will be fine.

--

Jeff
Old 25-11-2012, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

aberdeen writes:

Would be grateful for some advice please.

We bought some pots of Cyclamen from B&Q in August (garden variety) they
have bloomed non stop and there are still some buds to come out. I have
no idea whether they should be left outdoors and am concerned about the
uk winter.

We do not have a greenhouse, so I wondered if they would be better
wintering in our conservatory. it is not heated but at least they would
be out of the frost and snow.

I was just reading about them on Wikipedia a few days ago.
Check it out, different species have different low temperature limits.

--
Dan Espen
Old 25-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Registered User

Many thanks Dan, I will take a look at Wikipedia

Jeff, thank you for that.

I did actually bring them in today, I just didn't think a hard frost would do them any good even though they be winter flowering.

They are in the light and the conservatory, though a little on the cold side at the moment will be frost free.

Hopefully they will survive the Winter!
Old 25-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen View Post
Would be grateful for some advice please.

We bought some pots of Cyclamen from B&Q in August (garden variety) they have bloomed non stop and there are still some buds to come out. I have no idea whether they should be left outdoors and am concerned about the uk winter.

We do not have a greenhouse, so I wondered if they would be better wintering in our conservatory. it is not heated but at least they would be out of the frost and snow.

Thank you
Hi Aberdeen, I'm assuming that's where you are ?? I have sold about 3000 of these cyclamen this year and the type I grow is a variety called 'Miracle' !! I dont know what B&Q sell but yes, a conservatory where you are might be best but dont overwater them. They will flower until next March/April and then if you have some trees, plant them out under those and they should come up again in August/September next year.
Most people tend to overwater them, leave them dry out and if possible water early in the morning to allow the foliage to dry out before night time.
regards, Lannerman.

Old 28-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Aberdeen, I'm assuming that's where you are ?? I have sold about 3000 of these cyclamen this year and the type I grow is a variety called 'Miracle' !! I dont know what B&Q sell but yes, a conservatory where you are might be best but dont overwater them. They will flower until next March/April and then if you have some trees, plant them out under those and they should come up again in August/September next year.
Most people tend to overwater them, leave them dry out and if possible water early in the morning to allow the foliage to dry out before night time.
regards, Lannerman.
Thanks Lannerman, that's really helpful.

I don't know what species they are, it seems to be a generic B&Q plant name "Verve".

I definately take your point about the watering, as the soil was pretty wet. Have pulled out the wilted leaves and will leave to dry out a little then follow your instructions.

Thanks again

Regards

Aberdeen

[IMG] code is On

Cyclamen with a monkey on my patio. - Cyclamen 2toneMonkeyDSC01300.JPG (1/1) Wendy7 Garden Photos 2 01-03-2011 12:07 AM
Cyclamen with a monkey on my patio. - Cyclamen 2toneMonkeyDSC01300.JPG (0/1) Wendy7 Garden Photos 1 28-02-2011 11:55 PM
Outdoor autumn/spring flowering cyclamen 80/20 United Kingdom 6 29-10-2006 12:03 AM
Outdoor Cyclamen 80/20 United Kingdom 4 24-06-2006 10:59 PM
cyclamen Marley1372 Gardening 2 22-02-2003 09:15 AM