Old 06-07-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve Harris

Default Is this eelworm in my 'Anya' potatoes?

I'm a beginner with spuds. I planted some Anya seed potatoes in a bed
that had never grown potatoes or tomatoes. Also one tuber went in a pot
of multipurpose compost.

The plants came up strong and healthy looking until about a month ago
when they went downhill. The lower foliage has withered and gone brown
while the tops are pale and brown spotted.

So far, the symptoms look like Hassayon's description of eelworm attack.
Nearby tomato plants are fine so I tend to rule out blight.

I've been gradually lifting them and each plant has a nice crop of spuds
mainly of reasonable size.

So is it eelworm or just a sign that the crop is ready? Some writers
talk about the crop being ready when flowers/buds form, others talk
about the haulm dying down...it's confusing.

I harvested a good crop from a nearby "Duke of York" in a pot that was
showing rude health and one flower.

Anyone help my confusion?

TIA!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/