Old 12-07-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default Runner beans having a problem.

"Geoff" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

Snip
. . . . . . being taken to the upper atmosphere by thermals freezing and
being blown a long way before dropping down, thawing and going about
their business. Frightening!
Hope it's not true.

I wonder how they do that. The scientists I mean, not the aphids.

Have a look at the windscreen of an aircraft!

Do conventional aircraft get into the 'upper atmosphere'?

Mary

Old 12-07-2006, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Do conventional aircraft get into the 'upper atmosphere'?

Strictly, no - and I doubt aphids do, either. When people talk about
the 'upper atmosphere' in lay articles, they often mean the height of
the jet streams.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-07-2006, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Do conventional aircraft get into the 'upper atmosphere'?

Strictly, no - and I doubt aphids do, either. When people talk about
the 'upper atmosphere' in lay articles, they often mean the height of
the jet streams.

Ah, right, thanks. I thought you'd mentioned it so assumed you really did
mean it but now I see it originated somewhere else.

Pay attention, Fisher!

Mary

Old 14-07-2006, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

*
Geoff wrote:
Diggers,

You may remember that a short time ago I recommended using large modified
plant pots (8-9 inch diameter), inverted over runner bean plants to enable
watering and feeding liberally but not wastefully. Well, it has other
advantages apart from watering and slug/snail barrier for I've noticed no
ants which I reckon carry aphids from one part of a plant to another. The
beans still have blackfly but I keep them under control with regular
spraying with a soft soap/rainwater solution. Soft soap is made with
caustic potash instead of the caustic soda used in the manufacture of
household soap which is not anywhere near so effective against aphids.

However, not all in my bean patch is rosy! Some of the plants' leaves are
"bobbly" and become withered and dried at the edges. The affected leaves
are very frangible even though still green. Some - about half - of the
affected leaves had been attacked by aphids but I do not think they were the
cause.

Does anybody know what causes the problem and can suggest an environmentally
friendly way of control please?

Regards

Geoff