Old 19-07-2006, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
EagleEyes

Default what to do with 800 sqm? :)

Hi again,

As in my previous post I am starting my garden soon, I have more or
less 1000sqm of land. 300 will be the are for the garden and some
veggies, but I do not know what to do with the remaining 800 sqm for
the next 4 or 5 years.

1) 600 (+-15*40) are basically a square that now is full of weeds every
6 months I ask someone to go there with a tractor and just destroy
everything. In this area I was planning just some grass (not more than
20-25cm) and wildflowers that would not need to be cutted or taken care
for the next few years and would destroy the weeds. Someone suggested
me a a mix of grasses and wild flowers (Teasel, Yarrow, Burnet, Field
Scabious and Common Knapweed). do you think this would work and which
type of grasses. The point is that I do not want to have to worry about
this area now, just want to focus in the smaller garden for now for
now.

2) 100sqm (+- 3*35) are a strip in the side of the house that is not
used for anything at all, it is just there growing weeds. Here I was
thinking on making some strips with different plants that stay very
close to the ground and will fight the weeds (even if I have to help a
bit fighting the weeds). I would prefer if they do not need much water
and would propagate themselves very close to the ground (not climbers).
i am thinking on doing like 3 or 4 strips so I do not mind if some of
the plants do not give any flower at all, I just want to clean and give
some color to the space (something that does not die for part of the
year).

Weather is similar to the UK, but on average 5-6C higher during the
whole year.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Old 19-07-2006, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

EagleEyes wrote:
Someone suggested
me a a mix of grasses and wild flowers (Teasel, Yarrow, Burnet, Field
Scabious and Common Knapweed). do you think this would work and which
type of grasses.

A wild meadow is not maintenance free, you will still need a cutting
regime to keep it balanced toward the flowering species. Something
that mimics grazing (Unless you want to buy a sheeep, of course).
http://www.lincstrust.org.uk/factshe...adow/index.php is very
helpful.

I've used these people:
http://www.bostonseeds.co.uk/idx22.htm