Old 28-08-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What can I use to cover 60 sqm of this soil

The soil is very poor sand and clay...
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/postgrad/alves/pic/soil.jpg

any suggestion on how to cover it without putting more soil on top of
it? I am trying to find some grass or some very resistant ground covver
plant to cover 60sqm of this soil...

Thanks.

PA

Old 28-08-2006, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
R R is offline

"EagleEyes" wrote in message
ps.com...
The soil is very poor sand and clay...
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/postgrad/alves/pic/soil.jpg

any suggestion on how to cover it without putting more soil on top of
it? I am trying to find some grass or some very resistant ground covver
plant to cover 60sqm of this soil...

If you want to go for something that will irritate the hell out of hay fever
sufferers then Bermuda Grass

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....nodon+dactylon

alternatively

if you want more info try

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/DG1114.html

Old 28-08-2006, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

EagleEyes wrote:
The soil is very poor sand and clay...
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/postgrad/alves/pic/soil.jpg

any suggestion on how to cover it without putting more soil on top of
it? I am trying to find some grass or some very resistant ground covver
plant to cover 60sqm of this soil...

Grass will grow in worse places than that. Break it up with a fork,
rake over, picking out the worst stones, then follow instructions on
packet. If the whole patch looks like that, and you find the prospect
of forking it over too daunting, it's one of the rare instances in
which I might consider the possibility of hiring a rotovator -- but if
you aren't used to them, the fork is actually much easier work. You'll
need to rake well after the machine anyway. Certainly forget about
rotovators if it's that stony all over.

--
Mike.

Old 29-08-2006, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Mike Lyle wrote:
EagleEyes wrote:
The soil is very poor sand and clay...
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/postgrad/alves/pic/soil.jpg

any suggestion on how to cover it without putting more soil on top of
it? I am trying to find some grass or some very resistant ground covver
plant to cover 60sqm of this soil...

Grass will grow in worse places than that. [...]

Sorry: I forgot to say it would be a good idea to add some organic
material if you can get it. Those drying cracks will still appear once
you've turned it into a lawn, because your soil is almost entirely
mineral: it probably isn't curable within normal budgets, and it
doesn't necessarily matter, but even quite a small quantity of compost
or something will give you a better texture for growth.

--
Mike.

Old 29-08-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks guys,

I was thinking on planting some Bermuda Grass, which is quite common in
the area and its very low maitenance. Low maintenance is the keyword
for me and I also think (correct me if I am wrong) that bermuda
grass is quite drought tolerant, so it should be ok...

There are not many rocks and stones, so I think I will do it manually.

thanks again,

PA

Old 29-08-2006, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

EagleEyes wrote:
Thanks guys,

I was thinking on planting some Bermuda Grass, which is quite common in
the area and its very low maitenance. Low maintenance is the keyword
for me and I also think (correct me if I am wrong) that bermuda
grass is quite drought tolerant, so it should be ok...

There are not many rocks and stones, so I think I will do it manually.

thanks again,

I can't tell where you are, but it sounds like the US. Bermuda grass
isn't typical of seed mixtures for British conditions: according to my
field guide it's found in the wild only in sandy coastal areas of
England, and according to another reference it stops growing and goes
brown below about 10 deg C. Yes, it tolerates low, and apparently also
very high, rainfall. Hates shade, loves sun. If it works for your
neighbours, that's the best recommendation you can have. I get the
impression the blades are rather hard, so maybe not the best for small
children to play on?

British lawns and other grassed areas rarely if ever use only a single
species or variety, but a blend. On general principles I'd have
expected that to be the best approach anywhere in the world, but I
can't speak for your area.

--
Mike.

Old 29-08-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I live in Lancaster but have a house in the north of Portugal where I
want to plant the grass. Bermuda grass is quite common in the gardens
of lazy people like me I also though on putting some rye grass, but
I really do not have enough knowledge to judge the advantages and
disadvantages of each one. everything you said about the bermuda grass
is true, particularly the hard blades, which is my main concern with
this type of grass.

Do you think a blend with rye grass would do fine? Do not worry I will
not held you responsabile )))))

Thanks a lot

PA

Old 30-08-2006, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

EagleEyes wrote:
I live in Lancaster but have a house in the north of Portugal where I
want to plant the grass. Bermuda grass is quite common in the gardens
of lazy people like me I also though on putting some rye grass, but
I really do not have enough knowledge to judge the advantages and
disadvantages of each one. everything you said about the bermuda grass
is true, particularly the hard blades, which is my main concern with
this type of grass.

Do you think a blend with rye grass would do fine? Do not worry I will
not held you responsabile )))))

I had a little prowl, using lawn seed drought in Ggl. The Aberystwyth
grass research people are very proud of a ryegrass variety they've
discovered and named "Abernile", and which seems to be available only
in a proprietary mixture called "So-Green". If the claims are
justified, I suspect it may be what you want, even though not developed
in Portugal. Have a look at:

http://www.thegrassroute.co.uk/showP...ctCategoryId=4
a.k.a.
http://tinyurl.com/rxo5j

http://www.britishseedhouses.com/ret..._lawn_seed.htm

The resulting sward is described as "soft", which surprised me, since I
think of the ryegrasses as rather tough. You could start a lawn
revolution in Portugal: cut me in if it turns you into a zillionaire!

There are more bog-standard mixtures for which drought-tolerance is
claimed, for example "BS Grow Slow" from:
http://www.bostonseeds.co.uk/page48.htm

--
Mike.