Old 20-07-2006, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tony Carnell

Default Non-flowering Agapanthus

I'm asking this question on behalf of a workmate who is having some
trouble getting his Agapanthus to flower.

He has three, all in pots, but only one is not flowering.
There's plenty of lush green foliage, but no flowers.
This is its third year now and in the first it had one flower but since
then nothing.

The pot it's in restricts its root run since this is meant to induce
flowering, and it's in full sun in well drained compost, so any ideas
what he could try to get it to flower?

Thanks in advance,
Tony.
Old 20-07-2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 20/7/06 18:57, in article ,
"Tony Carnell" wrote:

I'm asking this question on behalf of a workmate who is having some
trouble getting his Agapanthus to flower.

He has three, all in pots, but only one is not flowering.
There's plenty of lush green foliage, but no flowers.
This is its third year now and in the first it had one flower but since
then nothing.

The pot it's in restricts its root run since this is meant to induce
flowering, and it's in full sun in well drained compost, so any ideas
what he could try to get it to flower?

I don't know how helpful this is but where I come from, Jersey, Agapanthus
grow freely in banks and hedges even, as they do in some places in northern
France like Ile de Brehat, Chausey, etc. I had no idea they would do better
with a restricted root run because I've never seen them grown that way,
though I've certainly seen lots in pots, too! There's one particular grassy
bank in Jersey that I could show you where the Ags flower every year in
prolific quantities and, as far as I know, both undisturbed AND
unrestricted.
However, are all these plants the same age? Are they all the same variety?
And is he feeding them? Sometimes, feeding plants produces a lot of foliage
but no or fewer flowers. Is it a smaller bulb and over-potted, perhaps?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-07-2006, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 20/7/06 18:57, in article ,
"Tony Carnell" wrote:

[...]

I think left alone they create their own crowding, certainly flower better
in pots if left alone, but if all 3 pots are treated the same its possible
the plants were seedlings and one is just less inclined to flower.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk