Old 21-07-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New house - Cherry Tree fruit edible?

Hi all,
I'm looking for a bit of advice - we've just moved house and in the
garden are two large cherry trees, and the fruit are red to deep red
and look just like the cherries I'd find at the supermarket. Are they
most likely edible?

I don't know much about fruit trees, and was wondering if there are any
non-edible cherry trees in the UK before I try sampling them! If so how
could I go about identifying what I've got?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 22-07-2006, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Tom wrote
I'm looking for a bit of advice - we've just moved house and in the
garden are two large cherry trees, and the fruit are red to deep red
and look just like the cherries I'd find at the supermarket. Are they
most likely edible?

I don't know much about fruit trees, and was wondering if there are any
non-edible cherry trees in the UK before I try sampling them! If so how
could I go about identifying what I've got?

Try one or two Tom and you will see if they are eating cherries or not. They
won't poison you, just be very "sharp" if they are the Morello ones, good
for cooking though.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-07-2006, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow

In message .com, Mike
in Spain writes

wrote:
I'm looking for a bit of advice - we've just moved house and in the
garden are two large cherry trees, and the fruit are red to deep red
and look just like the cherries I'd find at the supermarket. Are they
most likely edible?

I don't know much about fruit trees, and was wondering if there are any
non-edible cherry trees in the UK before I try sampling them! If so how
could I go about identifying what I've got?

Ornamental cherries will set fruit, they will be extremely sour and you
would not want to eat them. Edible ones will usually have more flesh
than stone, ornamental ones more stone than flesh.

If they really are large trees they won't be ornamental and won't be
Morello. If the fruit look like eating cherries they won't be wild P.
avium and could be eating cherries or could be a hybrid.

Try some and see - and please post back and tell us the result!

--
Sue ];(
Old 24-07-2006, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi all,
I'm looking for a bit of advice - we've just moved house and in the
garden are two large cherry trees, and the fruit are red to deep red
and look just like the cherries I'd find at the supermarket. Are they
most likely edible?

I don't know much about fruit trees, and was wondering if there are any
non-edible cherry trees in the UK before I try sampling them! If so how
could I go about identifying what I've got?

Thanks,
Tom

I have also Just moved and found 2 trees one that had white blossom and the
other had pink. Now one (the bigger one) has what I think are cherries on
it. I tried one or 2 and they were really sour . I hope I don't die now. How
can I tell what kind of cherries they are and how do I know when they have
fully ripened? I picked the ones that were very dark maroon.

Old 24-07-2006, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/7/06 12:26, in article ,
"Adebisi" wrote:

[...]

Look up Morello cherries on Google and Google images. They sound like
those, and they're used for e.g. making jam. They're not dessert fruits.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk