Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-07-2006, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default Expert tree help please

5 years ago I planted a number different types of maiden saplings, all
of which have thrived. Until recently that is. I returned home from a
few days away to find that the Silver Birch which was about 3 to 4
metres tall with a trunk of around (pun there) 15 to 20 cm circumference
had keeled over. In doing so it had snapped the tree support and broken
the substantial rubber tie. The leaves were still looking very healthy.
I was particularly saddened as the trunk's bark was just nicely
showing the characteristic silver flaking. I tried to support it back
up, but in vain. Now my question is has anyone any ideas as to what the
problem may have been? I do not THINK that it is lack of water as it
was only a couple of feet above a pond, which, though dried out, is
still extremely wet. I hope the other varieties will not be going the
same way. There could, of course, have been very strong winds (it had
fallen towards the West)but the problem was the trunk was bent (damaged
but not snapped) about 30 cm above ground level.