Old 04-06-2007, 04:08 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Need a tomato expert to help!

I have the same problem every year. I have raised beds with well drained
amended soil. My plants start out great but just when they start to bare
fruit, they begin to wither and turn yellow.

Here is a few pictures:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0685Medium.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0686Medium.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0687Medium.jpg

If you have the time, take a look at the pics. Advice would be greatly
appreciated!

Thx

Old 04-06-2007, 04:33 AM posted to austin.gardening

"WSZsr" wrote in message
I have the same problem every year. I have raised beds with well drained
amended soil. My plants start out great but just when they start to bare
fruit, they begin to wither and turn yellow.

Here is a few pictures:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0685Medium.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0686Medium.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0687Medium.jpg

If you have the time, take a look at the pics. Advice would be greatly
appreciated!

Thx

No expert here. Looks overcrowded. 5" depth of elevated soil and mulch by
the pictures.

Dave

Old 04-06-2007, 12:46 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 22:08:52 -0500, "WSZsr" wrote:

I have the same problem every year. I have raised beds with well drained
amended soil. My plants start out great but just when they start to bare
fruit, they begin to wither and turn yellow.

Here is a few pictures:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0685Medium.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0686Medium.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0687Medium.jpg

If you have the time, take a look at the pics. Advice would be greatly
appreciated!

Thx

I can't see the foliage close enough to know what it is.. It may be
found he

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ves/index.html
Old 04-06-2007, 01:18 PM posted to austin.gardening

WSZsr wrote:
If you have the time, take a look at the pics. Advice would be greatly
appreciated!

What are you fertilizing with?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 04-06-2007, 10:22 PM posted to austin.gardening

WSZsr wrote:
Is it too late to plant more tomatoes?

Yes, they won't set fruit. But you can plant some in August for fall
harvest.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 05-06-2007, 12:20 AM posted to austin.gardening

You will have another opportunity in July for fall tomatoes. Join the
newsletter at www.naturalgardeneraustin.com and it will tell you month
by month what you can plant...if they still have a newsletter.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:32 AM posted to austin.gardening

It looks like early blight to me the way it is spotty and the edges
are curled up and brown. There are some photo's he

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdise...8/450-708.html

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 07:50:58 -0500, "WSZsr" wrote:

Here is a better pic:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...to005Large.jpg

.. .

Old 05-06-2007, 01:21 PM posted to austin.gardening

I can't read Victor's mind, but "landscapers mix" can mean anything!
Fertilizer is very inportant for tomatoes. Watering evenly and
steadily is also very important to tomato production. I suggest you
fertilize them with either Sustane or Ladybug Brand granular
fertilizer according to the label directions. However, because of
lack of fertilization, I believe your plants in their weakened state
developed early blight.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:53 PM posted to austin.gardening

jangchub wrote:
I can't read Victor's mind, but "landscapers mix" can mean anything!

Agreed.

fertilizer according to the label directions. However, because of
lack of fertilization, I believe your plants in their weakened state
developed early blight.

Bingo! When we grew tomatoes (none this year, our trees grew too fast
and now it's too shady) we fertilized with organic granular fertilizer
when planting. During the growing season, we fertilized with a liquid
mix that can be absorbed by foliage and roots. We always excellent yield
and very healthy plants.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 05-06-2007, 05:25 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 07:53:18 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

jangchub wrote:
I can't read Victor's mind, but "landscapers mix" can mean anything!

Agreed.

fertilizer according to the label directions. However, because of
lack of fertilization, I believe your plants in their weakened state
developed early blight.

Bingo! When we grew tomatoes (none this year, our trees grew too fast
and now it's too shady) we fertilized with organic granular fertilizer
when planting. During the growing season, we fertilized with a liquid
mix that can be absorbed by foliage and roots. We always excellent yield
and very healthy plants.

We are having the same problem! Running out of sun room to plant in.
When we bought this house nothing was here. Not a shadow. Now, the
trees and surrounding shrubs and plants create so much shade that the
only true full sun I get is out front and only in one of the beds.
That said, in a few years the burr oak we planted has now grown at
least 4 feet in two years that in a few years sun will be rather
scarce. I never would have thought to complain about NOT having
enough sunny spots!

I tried a new heirloom this year I picked up at "Gardens." 'Mexico'
is the name. Flowers, but no fruit yet. However, the Japanese
eggplant is doing fabulously well. I have to pick four today.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:50 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

jangchub wrote:
[...]

You can prune the trees back a bit. ;-)

It won't kill them.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:21 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 11:50:50 -0500, Omelet
wrote:
We are having the same problem! Running out of sun room to plant in.
When we bought this house nothing was here. Not a shadow. Now, the
trees and surrounding shrubs and plants create so much shade that the
only true full sun I get is out front and only in one of the beds.
That said, in a few years the burr oak we planted has now grown at
least 4 feet in two years that in a few years sun will be rather
scarce. I never would have thought to complain about NOT having
enough sunny spots!

I tried a new heirloom this year I picked up at "Gardens." 'Mexico'
is the name. Flowers, but no fruit yet. However, the Japanese
eggplant is doing fabulously well. I have to pick four today.

You can prune the trees back a bit. ;-)

It won't kill them.

These trees are live oaks on steroids! There are no trees here
younger than 200 years old and my neighbors tree has a canopy of
almost 150 feet with a diameter of 5 feet. We bought one of those
tree chain saw things and prune the trees at the proper times of year
to prevent oak wilt (not in the area, but still being cautious). I
tell ya, in months it seems the canopy is back down hitting me in the
head.

Now, the peaches will soon be plumping and golding up. I cannot wait
to sloosh into my first scrumptious, totally organic, full of sugar
peaches.

Victoria

AVS Fencing NEW Expert Help Pages Jo AVS Marketplace 0 26-08-2010 12:30 PM
Expert tree help please Broadback United Kingdom 3 23-07-2006 01:55 PM
Need Expert Advice Norm Ponds 6 28-07-2004 07:02 AM
Need Expert Advice Norm Ponds 0 27-07-2004 05:44 PM
Help! Need expert quotes ASAP!! Robyn Rhudy Ponds 4 24-09-2003 04:08 AM